I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

WR450 TPS problem...never knew

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
biffer99
DAMN Expert

WR450 TPS problem...never knew

Post by biffer99 »

So apparently if you are gentle with the throttle on a WR450 (ie. cruising), there is a stutter at about 1/2 throttle. Apparently a common problem according to my Google results. I don't know if it's just that I'm usually a bit more "deliberate" with my throttle or that I'm usually off-road with it and don't notice due to bumps/trees/falling/etc. It did have me worried though - I was out and pulled a nice 3rd gear wheelie that even mdubya would have been proud of. After that I figured I'd just chill out and enjoy the ride a bit and that's when I noticed the stutter. I was a bit worried that I had f-ed something up somehow on a wheelie! Anyway, I'm going to pull out the Fluke meter and make sure the TPS is in spec tomorrow in hopes of fixing it.

Thought I'd share.
Chris
'09 DRZ400SM (dirt setup as well)
'08 WR450F - plated

http://www.bellwetherphoto.com
TyMarp
DAMN Expert

Re: WR450 TPS problem...never knew

Post by TyMarp »

Just do a few stoppies (front wheel down/ rear wheel up) and everything will balance out. :lol2:
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

TyMarp wrote:Just do a few stoppies (front wheel down/ rear wheel up) and everything will balance out. :lol2:
Yeah, tried that a couple times but just don't have the cojones to do it well enough. Got it sideways too (supercamp style) but didn't seem to help. haha
Chris
'08 WR450F - plated

restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

I think your bike has an FCR carb. If it was running good in the cooler weather, you might need to go for a leaner main jet or move the clip position up to lean it out for the hot and humid. I've heard that certain bikes run better with the TPS unplugged? Thumpertalk has a really good jetting forum for the down low.

To adjust the TPS you need a special torx set and a multi meter. When my Husky got the stutter, adjusting the TPS produced absolutely nothing and was a pain to get setup to do. I'd consider your jetting.
biffer99
DAMN Expert

Post by biffer99 »

Yeah, I've been reading up on it. I've got the torx and multi meter to do it. I will play with that first and if not, I'll work on the jetting. I was hoping not to have to mess with it but I guess I'll give it a shot. Either way, it's going to have to wait until after Broad Mtn....I'm already loaded up and heading out soon.
Chris
'08 WR450F - plated