I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

need DRZ motor help

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Roadracer_Al

Re: need DRZ motor help

Post by Roadracer_Al »

My new favorite method for cleaning carbs is to strip them down to the bare casting (look especially carefully under the pilot air screw, there should be a washer, spring and o-ring), the boil the carb body in a pot with laundry soap for half an hour.

It works amazingly well, and there will be a thick foamy layer of crud on the top of the pot - you'll be surprised at how much *stuff* comes off the carb. Blow it all out with compressed air, follow up with WD-40, then more compressed air. Don't skip the WD-40 because the body will be bare, clean alu, and can oxidize.
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

Roadracer_Al wrote:My new favorite method for cleaning carbs is to strip them down to the bare casting (look especially carefully under the pilot air screw, there should be a washer, spring and o-ring), the boil the carb body in a pot with laundry soap for half an hour.

It works amazingly well, and there will be a thick foamy layer of crud on the top of the pot - you'll be surprised at how much *stuff* comes off the carb. Blow it all out with compressed air, follow up with WD-40, then more compressed air. Don't skip the WD-40 because the body will be bare, clean alu, and can oxidize.
Great method. Dish soap works great too - just don't boil to aggressively or you'll make a large bubbly mess. I didn't have the best results with dishwasher soap, but I think it was the jetdry ball - the parts all had a residue on them.

Fact or myth: WD-40 contains water and can later promote rust. I've used spray on Liquid Wrench since I was knee-high to a grasshopper because of this.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

the dude himself wrote:Fact or myth: WD-40 contains water and can later promote rust. I've used spray on Liquid Wrench since I was knee-high to a grasshopper because of this.
from the WD-40 product site
What does WD-40 stand for?

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion-a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try.

What does WD-40 contain?

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Of course WD-40 will tell you it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

IMHO, it's primarily a solvent and, as mentioned, a water dispersant. And, oh, yeah, by the way, we put a tiny bit of oil in it. People that use it on chains thinking it's a lubricant are deluded by marketing hype.

The real key to happiness with carbs is blowing it out with a compressor.
Louge

Post by Louge »

Have the valve clearances tightened up?
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Louge wrote:Have the valve clearances tightened up?
I had just checked valves the week before and all were in spec. I still haven't looked at the bike. I seem to run out of time each day before I get too it.

One thing at a time. I will check for spark first, then pull the carb to check for dirt/blockages. Then move on from there.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

Ok, so I had the exact same thing happen in my boat 2 weekends ago. Pulled the plugs, good compression. Checked the fuel seperator - clean fuel. Played with connectors, gas selector, fuel filter, swapped spark plugs, twiddled with carb sync, cut the last inch off the spark plug wires and the boat fired right up.

Moral of this story - diagnose first. If you identify the point of failure you're more comfortable riding than if you mess with everything and it starts working.