I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Amazing Day at Summit Point

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Amazing Day at Summit Point

Post by chasbo »

Yesterday I had the opportunity to work support for a track day at Summit Point Raceway. It was part of Roger Lyles Experience. I worked the inspection/tech booth and also was the crash truck driver and operator. It was a blast! There's not much that is cooler than hearing race bikes at speed at a track all day long. Getting a race radio and listening in on the chatter was cool as well. I had to recover about six bikes from various crashes, which was pretty neat as well, although I am sure the point of view of the crashees was a bit different. Only one injury thank goodness, looked like a broken wrist. It's the first time I have been to Summit Point and I have to say that the track and the Moto Xperience crew are all top notch. As a thank you, Roger let me take the 990 out on the last session. That was my first time ever riding on a track...WOW! Over 100 mph on the main straight and leaned way over in the turns and running at the rev limiter was freaking bad ass! I was the only guy out there with a visor on his helmet and a GPS on his bike... :lol2: Talk about a great day though. I will be going to more of those track days and helping out, it was just so much fun...

CapoGreg

Re: Amazing Day at Summit Point

Post by CapoGreg »

That's pretty cool. I wouldn't mind doing something like that myself...how do you get on the list to work the tracks.

BTW...did you hear about the rider who hit the deer there last Friday? I heard it destroyed the deer and the bike, but the rider didn't get hurt too bad.
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

The rider was really lucky from what I understand. He has a messed up shoulder and some bruised ribs. The video was scarey.

The shop I work at is responsible for tech and crash recovery. So I got in that way. I will definitely be doing that again!

The riding was a blast as well, even though it was only one fifteen minute session. I would love to have the cash to put into a track setup to do that every now and then. As it is, I had a blast just being there. The atmosphere is really cool at a track day. Lots of different people to meet too.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

chasbo wrote:The rider was really lucky from what I understand. He has a messed up shoulder and some bruised ribs. The video was scarey.

The shop I work at is responsible for tech and crash recovery. So I got in that way. I will definitely be doing that again!

The riding was a blast as well, even though it was only one fifteen minute session. I would love to have the cash to put into a track setup to do that every now and then. As it is, I had a blast just being there. The atmosphere is really cool at a track day. Lots of different people to meet too.
Chuck said he'd approach the promoter about letting Bucho and I run the Wasp at a track day... not sure I want a race bike gaining on me at 160 MPH when I'd be doing 60 or so
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
chasbo
DAMN Expert

Post by chasbo »

They would most likely put you in the beginner class. Those guys hit around 120/130 tops on the straights and are not allowed to pass in turns. My poor 990 was so outgunned on the straights. There were KLR's and GS out there as well. Besides, there is plenty of room to get around other riders and people are fairly respectful of others on the track. Roger, the promoter, has to be one of the nicest guys I have ever met. Lots of good people there.

Kyler wrote:
chasbo wrote:The rider was really lucky from what I understand. He has a messed up shoulder and some bruised ribs. The video was scarey.

Chuck said he'd approach the promoter about letting Bucho and I run the Wasp at a track day... not sure I want a race bike gaining on me at 160 MPH when I'd be doing 60 or so
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Roger runs a great track day. Back when I was racing, I tried to hit every TD he put on, just because you get *so much* track time, that it's an invaluable tool for tuning your bike, and tuning your head. If you can comfortably run 8 15 minute sessions in one day, you ought to be able to run 3~4 races with no trouble. And, at a great price.

Regarding corner working, my race partner and I had our racebikes stolen off the trailer, so we volunteered to work corners for the rest of the season until we got replacement bikes. It was really a valuable experience -- I actually learned a lot about racing lines watching the races from such a great vantage point.

That deer strike video was pretty hair-raising, but not all that surprising --- I've seen teen-age kids, cows, dogs, and snakes on the track!