I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Electrical Issue Question on turn signals.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Electrical Issue Question on turn signals.

Post by Ovo »

I recently noticed that my front turn signals are not working anymore as normal.

If I remove the headlight then they start flashing again. The rears work regardless.

This seems like something simple but for the life of me I cannot track down the connection issue.

Anyone have any ideas?
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
restukey
DAMN Expert

Re: Electrical Issue Question on turn signals.

Post by restukey »

Might check the handcontrol switch for the lights hi/lo beam if you have one?
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Just remove them. They will only get broken in the inevitable offroad wreck anyway...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Bucho wrote:Just remove them. They will only get broken in the inevitable offroad wreck anyway...
+1 :thumbup: It doesn't seem like people around here pay any attention to them on the street anyway.
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

First thing to do is to make sure that the ground connections are clean and tight. There is often a ground on the motor, and a ground on the chassis. Start at the battery and follow the negative lead until you find one or both of the grounds. To test if you have a bad (poor continuity) ground, get a clip lead that goes from the battery neg terminal to the turn signal neg lead and test it again.

Look for a wire that has the insulation rubbed thin enough to see a slight bit of shiny copper.

Also, look for a loose wire in the handlebar switch that might be shorting between the turn signal switch and the headlight switch.
the dude himself
DAMN Expert

Post by the dude himself »

Some bikes have a diode block (a series of diodes) that allowes the turnsignals to function as both running lights and turn signals. When the diodes fail, they don't always just cut out. Often they work at certain voltages or loads, but not others. Sounds like this could be the case with your bike.
Ovo
DAMN Poohba

Post by Ovo »

Thanks - I'll start looking tonight...
14 Tiger800 XCX
09 Husaberg 450 FE
07 Suzuki DRZ400S
zamobro9
DAMN Expert

Post by zamobro9 »

i had a mouse nibble thru my xt's wiring, found the cut wires and soldered 'em back together...DAMN varmints