I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Wheel weights (spoke type)

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Roadracer_Al

Re: Wheel weights (spoke type)

Post by Roadracer_Al »

Jebus, that's a DAMN nice balancer.

To get the stick-on weights off, just grab them with pliers and yank. The foam adhesive will tear, and you need to soak the left-over adhesive on the rim with WD-40 and wipe it off. To remove spoke-weights, push a screwdriver into the slot and twist, bending the lead weight.

To install stick on weights, clean the rim real well with an appropriate solvent (i.e. if the rims are anodized, they're pretty bulletproof, but if they're painted stay away from brake & carb cleaner), and peel & stick the rim weights to the rim on the 'flat' next to the spoke nipples. Cover with color-matched duct tape -- you can buy it at Home Despot. To install spoke weights, slide them over the spoke, and crimp in place with large pliers. Make sure they're tight enough that they don't slide on the spoke, or they will annoy the shit out of you at walking speed.... thunk thunk thunk.

One upside (the only upside, IMHO) to spoke weights is they're reusable. Otherwise, they come off more easily, can't be fine-tuned by trimming, and are kinda ugly.

Regarding sourcing weights - the stick on weights are available by special order from any auto parts store -- they're called "mag wheel weights" and one box with 30~40 bars (which will last you nearly a lifetime) will set you back a whopping $30.

Here's the first site I found:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/maint ... e-a-weight
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Wheel weights (spoke type)

Post by Rut Row »

the problem Al with stick-on weights is when you need to add 4 1/2 oz to counter balance a rim lock. That is 18 little squares or 2 strips of 8 + 2 individual squares.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris