I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

KTM Shifter Bolt

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
pmullen
DAMN Grand Poohba

KTM Shifter Bolt

Post by pmullen » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:01 pm

For any of you tired of the perpetual problem of the KTM shifter bolt coming loose and don't want to safety wire it, I bought a package of M6-16 nylok cap screws. These bolts have a nylon plug in the threads and work on the same principle as a nylok nut.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

mustangwagz

Re: KTM Shifter Bolt

Post by mustangwagz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Yah those bolts are GREAT for stuff that has vibration N such! got em at work.. lol shoulda said something!

Future Ref, i got access to all kinds of bolts N stuff Almost EVERYTHING fastenall has, we got too.. (major assembly shop)

Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 pm

BRILLIANT!

I've been loc-titing everything on the 690. I can see replacing all the bizarre selection of fasteners KTM uses with those.

Got a linky for that?

pmullen
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by pmullen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:07 pm

www.mcmaster.com

or I can send you a couple snail mail
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Roadracer_Al wrote:BRILLIANT!

I've been loc-titing everything on the 690. I can see replacing all the bizarre selection of fasteners KTM uses with those.

Got a linky for that?
Every bolt on the old Duke II was heavily loc-tite'd from the factory. I followed their lead.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

pmullen
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by pmullen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:25 pm

mdubya wrote:
Roadracer_Al wrote:BRILLIANT!

Got a linky for that?
Every bolt on the old Duke II was heavily loc-tite'd from the factory. I followed their lead.
I heavily loc-tited the shifter bolt on two separate occasions and it still came loose. Was thinking of welding it there for a whilel
Ken

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Kyler wrote:
mdubya wrote:
Roadracer_Al wrote:
I heavily loc-tited the shifter bolt on two separate occasions and it still came loose. Was thinking of welding it there for a whilel

Bummer. I had mine come loose at the camp out too. Stuck in 3rd gear from the ORV back to the mosquito site..errr...campsite. :eyes:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:16 am

A friend tore up the shifter shaft on a brand new bike and had to split the cases to replace it because of a lose shifter bolt.

Ken, sure, if you want to drop one in the mail, that would rock!

pmullen
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by pmullen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:40 am

mdubya wrote:Bummer. I had mine come loose at the camp out too. Stuck in 3rd gear from the ORV back to the mosquito site..errr...campsite. :eyes:
I have plenty of bolts - had to buy a pack of 25 - want some?
Ken

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Kyler wrote:
mdubya wrote:Bummer. I had mine come loose at the camp out too. Stuck in 3rd gear from the ORV back to the mosquito site..errr...campsite. :eyes:
I have plenty of bolts - had to buy a pack of 25 - want some?
Yes. :ride:
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC