I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Stripped out oil plug need some help

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Daves08excr
DAMN Poohba

Stripped out oil plug need some help

Post by Daves08excr »

My brother in law stripped out his oil plug on his atv anybody have any suggestions as to how we can fix it.
2021 Africa twin.
2022 Kayo k6-EFI.

WELCOME TO THE DIRT SIDE.
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Stripped out oil plug need some help

Post by Grady »

I'd try finding a plug that's a tad larger and re-tap the old hole to match the new plug threads. Or you could possibly try a helicoil, but I don't think I'd trust one with my drain plug.
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Google shows a lot of threads on this - some helicoil, some tap for larger bolts.

Sounds like the perfect time to pull the motor, install a big bore kit and while your at it, JB Weld the hole and re-tap! :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

http://www.timesert.com/
When my Ford V-10 spit the threads on a spark plug, this is what the shop used to repair.
Works great, now I have steel threads and do not have to worry about the wimpy alum threads.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Roadracer_Al

Post by Roadracer_Al »

TimeSert is the shiz. The only downside is that the actual insert is larger diameter, which might cause a problem if the thread is in a tight spot.

I'm also a big fan of HeliCoils - installed correctly, they're awesome. Installed incorrectly, they're a huge PITA. Let me give you two pieces of advice... one: if you must use red Loctite, let the DAMN stuff dry/set before you reinstall the fastener, or the fastener will get red-Loctited to the HeliCoil, which will promptly back out the first time you remove the fastener. Two: always use anti-seize on the fastener in a HeliCoiled hole.

Don't drill & tap for the next size bigger unless the flat machined sealing surface is big enough for the crush washer of the bigger drain bolt. It will leak if it's crushing against an irregular surface.
Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady »

Roadracer_Al wrote: Don't drill & tap for the next size bigger unless the flat machined sealing surface is big enough for the crush washer of the bigger drain bolt. It will leak if it's crushing against an irregular surface.
Excellent point :thumbup: