I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Off road bike titles in PA

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Re: Off road bike titles in PA

Post by OldmanX »

Or you can go out of state and buy an off-road bike with a title that shows "mc" as the vehicle type. Then bring it into Pa., transfer the title, pay the sales tax on the purchase amount, insure the bike and send for a plate.
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

[quote="Hare"]

and if the guy who had it before you didnt pay the taxes on the orginal purchase and he sold it to you, to title it you might have to pay taxes on it twice, once for the orginal purchase and then again for the current owner's purchase, ouch.
quote]

I hear you have to do that in Maryland too. I have a friend who just bought a used bike and is the 3rd/4th owner. He went to go title it and they told him he has to pay taxes on it for ALL the previous owners.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

B DIRT wrote:Heres the scoop dirty

an offroad bike in pa is supposed to have an offroad title, yes an actual title
an MSO is what you get when you buy the bike out of state (manufacturer certificate of origin) which is ok to have with an offroad bike, basically you wouldnt pay tax from a private seller unless you wanted an actual "title" whether it be offroad, on road, or a converter or reconstructed title

scenario for you

I purchased a bike new from a dealer out of state, I did not have to pay tax and a MSO came in the mail with my name on it for the bike I just purchased. Now if I wanted to "title" it which is what your supposed to do, you would have to pay tax on purchase price.

If you went down to velocity cycles and bought a new Honda which I know you want to, you would pay tax on it like a good pennsylvanian and you would recieve in the mail a offroad title
and if the guy who had it before you didnt pay the taxes on the orginal purchase and he sold it to you, to title it you might have to pay taxes on it twice, once for the orginal purchase and then again for the current owner's purchase, ouch.

PA used to be easy but now i hear its hard to get her done, I am told they will kick back every reconstructed title at least once, not to mention the crazy shit they make you go thru.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Hare wrote:
B DIRT wrote:
PA used to be easy but now i hear its hard to get her done, I am told they will kick back every reconstructed title at least once, not to mention the crazy shit they make you go thru.

And that is why KTM and Husky went down the road with the DOT models they have, I love them for it. Having a 525 EXC that is ACTUALLY legal 100% makes life easier all the way around. If no one can show up to Enduro's with legal plated bikes, pretty soon, no enduro's and then no need for making as many bikes. You think Honda and the others would "smell" the coffee.

it is all of the tree hugging, green peace BS that keeps responsible folks from enjoying the sport of our choice.
Lots of cool bikes---
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX »

Bucho wrote:
Hare wrote:
quote]

I hear you have to do that in Maryland too. I have a friend who just bought a used bike and is the 3rd/4th owner. He went to go title it and they told him he has to pay taxes on it for ALL the previous owners.
If the original owner did not pay the taxes, he would not have had a title. That's why some people buy new bikes out of Pa. to begin with.

How would the state of MD. know that there were 2 or 3 previous owners if the title had not been transferred? If it had been transferred between all previous owners, wouldn't MD have required payment of sales taxes? PA would have required payment.
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

OldmanX wrote:How would the state of MD. know that there were 2 or 3 previous owners if the title had not been transferred? If it had been transferred between all previous owners, wouldn't MD have required payment of sales taxes? PA would have required payment.
MD requires the title to be in the previous sellers name. No third-party titles allowed except for dealers.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX »

Kyler wrote:
OldmanX wrote:How would the state of MD. know that there were 2 or 3 previous owners if the title had not been transferred? If it had been transferred between all previous owners, wouldn't MD have required payment of sales taxes? PA would have required payment.
MD requires the title to be in the previous sellers name. No third-party titles allowed except for dealers.
Which insures that taxes get paid with each transaction, correct?
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

OldmanX wrote:
Kyler wrote:
Which insures that taxes get paid with each transaction, correct?
correct cuz it is all about the taxes! :fitz:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX »

MD requires the title to be in the previous sellers name. No third-party titles allowed except for dealers.[/quote]

Which insures that taxes get paid with each transaction, correct?[/quote]

correct cuz it is all about the taxes! :fitz:[/quote]

That's my point. How could a 3rd or 4th owner be made to pay the previous 2 or 3 owner's taxes?
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

they would be transfering the certificate of origin. I can understand the two, not sure on the 3 or 4 owners, right how would they know. yes Maryland is the same way