I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Coated cylinder? New piston, ah sh**!!??

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
oil-spitn-rat

Coated cylinder? New piston, ah sh**!!??

Post by oil-spitn-rat »

Getting ready to replace leaking basegasket on my 2k DR650. Less than 12k. Was going to drop a High Comp piston and hone out the cylinder but was told it is coated... I'm not going through coating the old one to do this, another member on another forum said to wipe out the cylinder and run with it... I dunno about that. Not having a fresh cross-hatch scares me but I'm an old-skool car dork, different animals these coated cylinders.

Thinking of a man that once said. "Not gonna do it, not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent... not and this... juncture.
SNL-DanaCarvey-GeorgeBushSr3.jpg
SNL-DanaCarvey-GeorgeBushSr3.jpg (61.1 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
So does anyone know if they are in fact lined? Advice is appreciated. I know Ducati has lined cylinders and generally they are re-plated/coated etc if stuff is done inside. Was going to order that bad boy today.

I'm putting in a FCR39 carb hoping to pickup some performance but really thought the piston would give a good bang for the buck and be complimentary. Hell we all need a little extra hp, right? Maybe more trouble than its worth.
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Coated cylinder? New piston, ah sh**!!??

Post by mdubya »

Of course it is more trouble than it is worth...hot rodding always is. :lol2: That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. If you can still see the cross hatches, you should be good to go with fresh rings and a fresh break in. Run it hard to seal it tight. The coatings in these cylinders is diamond like hard. The coating should still break in your rings.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
oil-spitn-rat

Post by oil-spitn-rat »

Yes most.everything is a pita when ot comes to mods. Pulling the trigger anyway
oil-spitn-rat

Post by oil-spitn-rat »

Pulled it apart tonight, looks good except for the crankshaft plug I stripped out on the geney cover. the allen head gave way... oh well. I'll pull it off entirely and hope to torch it out.
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX »

Most plated cylinders are plated with "Nikasil". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil

When re-ringing a motor with a plated cyl. bore, its a good practice to run a flex-ball hone through the cylinder to remove any glazing. If a flex-ball hone isn't available, Scotch Brite pads will work, too.
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale
oil-spitn-rat

Post by oil-spitn-rat »

I slipped my cylinder hone in there and rubbed off the carbon ring at the top and lightly and very briefly ran it through the bore. I had been told to NOT do this by the shop that sold me the piston (procycle). He asked me if I used oil when I did this of course I did not! I went through it very lightly with a drill and think it will be fine. Need to pickup some assembly lube and dino 10w-40 to break the thing in.

Got all my parts in the mail today and am stoked!!!! The piston was so pretty I took it to dinner and a movie, I won't say what else happened but afterwards... :smoking: I'm going to put an FCR 39mm carb on this thing once I get the motor back together and sorted. The carb mod is quite popular on the TT forum. I hope I can get the DAMN thing jetted right! It will be another learning experience, I just hope I dont have to learn something the hard way... :amazon:

Headed to Deals Gap for the first time on Tuesday, the DR will be at home, probably in pieces until I get back.
restukey
DAMN Expert

Post by restukey »

You really want to use oil. I've used wd-40 with no issues. You might consider cleaning it up with oil too. The debris take a little bit of elbow grease to remove. At 12k miles consider doing the valves? Anyways, the season is approaching for rebuilds. Good luck with yours.
Hare
DAMN Poohba

Post by Hare »

most important is to wash the cylinder with warm or hot water and soap then coat with an oil
oil-spitn-rat

Post by oil-spitn-rat »

Well the piston is in. I had to realign the cam twice as the FSM I had downloaded printed off a 1/2 blank page on the cam alignment. A quick check later that night revealed the fact that I put it together incorrectly. I'm glad I checked this out!

The first test ride was awesome! It really made a difference and wants to haul like a freight train. I've got a 2bros pipe in the mail and currently building the FCR carb mod. The bike should be a real scrapper when its done (i hope by Friday or Sat!).

For those of you DR 650 owners I can't recommend the piston mod enough, especaily if you've got a model with the old fiber base gaskets that leak. I've heard everyone at TT rave over the FCR carb and will post up its progress. I might need to have a shop pull an airjet that I can't get to. I can't find my gunsmith screwdrivers anywhere. As soon as the pipe shows up I've be putting the carb on permitting the air jet is the right size.

UPDATE: The FCR carb was a success with the 2bros pipe and new piston, she rocks and rolls now! All were good mods but the muffler is pretty darn loud. I've got one loud Triumph and that's enough. I ordered a buttplug silencer tip from 2bros so we'll see how that works, I'm going to repack it as well.