I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Enduro - Hare Scrambles - What are they like for a newbie?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Enduro - Hare Scrambles - What are they like for a newbi

Post by Firebolter »

I've done 3 in Jersey and Delaware (my favorite) a couple of times

Don't forget about "National Format", some will be run like that. It's like a harescramble with checks and sections. Ride as fast as you can. No penalty for early, points for late. Usually on closed course so no plates needed, but check. Sumter is closed course race in national Format. No timekeeping, Just ride like hell and never stop unless absolutely necessary. You'll have fun.

Time keeping events are fun, and yeah, you gotta be fast to do good, but a good consistent pace sometimes, you survive attrition and the heat and such and get a 2nd place in your class!

Make sure you completely understand the req's, some club sites it is not really clear (lights, plates? etc.?).
Lots of cool bikes---
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

I'm good for an enduro this year. I'll be the one with the KLX that's back on the trailer before the green flag even drops. :lol2:

On a positive note, I should have it back Tuesday.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

CapoGreg wrote:I'm good for an enduro this year. I'll be the one with the KLX that's back on the trailer before the green flag even drops. :lol2:

Did Kawi end up treating you right? Are you going to keep it?
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
CapoGreg

Post by CapoGreg »

Wingfixer wrote:
CapoGreg wrote:I'm good for an enduro this year. I'll be the one with the KLX that's back on the trailer before the green flag even drops. :lol2:

Did Kawi end up treating you right? Are you going to keep it?
Kawi did good by me, they covered the parts even though the manufacturers warranty was up over a year ago. The service manager tried to pin it on me, but the dealer did agree to cover the labor costs. I suspect the salesman might have said something on my behalf, as I am a 3rd generation customer of his and he knows that I know what I'm talking about. I'll be glad when I have it back, but I still think I'm going to sell it. It's left me questioning it's reliability, especially when I see so many DR-Z's with 10-20k miles on the clock. I don't know what's coming next though, either another dual sport or I might give in and get my wife the Bonneville she's been wanting.
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Firebolter wrote: Time keeping events are fun, and yeah, you gotta be fast to do good, but a good consistent pace sometimes, you survive attrition and the heat and such and get a 2nd place in your class!
Funny that you mention that... that's exactly how I got this. On a 20+ year old XR250 even.

Where are you located? I'd sure like to check out your Scorpa long ride. I have a regular SY250 and really like the idea of the long ride. Big chunk of change though...
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Here's some advice I got over on the NVTR site. I still think we should pick and easy one, forget the time-keeping and just ride. :roost:

Then, if we are still alive, try to figure out the rules for the second race! :lol2:
Hey Ken,
Your now looking at the 2011 season. Lot's of things can help prepare you for an enduro. The guys with tons more experience than me will chime in.Here are a few of the basic things I would consider.

- Bark busters
- New tires
- Gas can - about the half way point you'll be reunited with your gas can which will be transported by the club organizing the event. There are a lot of red gas cans out there so you might consider marking yours to make it easier to find.
- Pre-entry - makes your sign up day easier. The flyer will tell you the key time - start of the day. Your start time will be key time plus the row number you are issued. Most events starts four on a row.
- Pulling Off - When you hear someone yelling or howling behind you it's time to pull to the side and let them pass. The first few times can be a bit squirrelly, especially in tight sections. Try to keep rolling rather than come to a dead stop. Taking a slight detour off the trail for a brief time is often a good idea.
- Duck/Gaffers Tape - Bring some good quality tape so that you can secure your time card on your front fender. I usually put a piece of thick cardboard under the card before it touches the fender. Giving support to the scorecard makes it easier for the checkers to write down your time.

NVTR usual has a full list of events on the site.

Have fun,
Bill
Delaware? RORR? - just kidding!

Seriously - any of the South Jersey runs are fun IMO - very little elevation change & mostly sand - ie relative soft landings when you crash (Joe may disagree). Early Spring runs can be wet, and the lack of terrain features are usually compensated for with tight woods. Years ago I built a short trail section at Eagle Bay to practice in the tight pines for south jersey but I think the HS races there blew it apart... The events in PA & NY are generally rocky which in my case meant a lot more bike damage when I went down - which was often....

The key is to not worry about it - pick an event, ride, and have fun. If an event becomes more than you bargained for, check points come every few miles - ask at the next check for the route back to camp. Many of the events offer C class cutoffs also - keeping the fun factor higher for the newbs - they're usually noted on the flyer.

Some guy put some videos together from all the ecea enduros awhile back - check them out for an idea what each event is like.

head on over to ecea.org for more info.
any of the ones within driving distance are fun. I have ridden Sandy lane, Delaware (one of my favorites), Greenbrier and Pine Hill.

First decide, do you want to participate in a Timekeeping Enduro or a National Format? Then you can narrow down your choices. Send in your entries all together so you will get on the same row/s. A's and B's almost always ride the whole course. C's usually have a cut off and do about 3/4 of the course. Even for the races that have online entry ability, you can enter groups in like we did for the Sumter race in Jan.

Timekeeping is just what is says, you ride on a schedule and try to stay on your minute as much as possible. You will need a watch, route chart and resettable tripmeter at a minimum. Or you can run a computer like a ICO Checkmate or a Watchdog with the race programed into it and you just follow the computer. You get more points for being early in a check than you do being late to a check. There are hideen checks, secret checks, special tests, all kinds of stuff the race orginizer can throw at you. Most will require you to have a plated bike, Spark Arrester, insurance and a drivers license.

National format. No Time Keeping. You ride each section as fast as you can. You get points for being late, no penalty if early. You leave each section on your minute unless you come in late then you keep riding cause you are behind......No clock, no odometer needed and these are on closed course so almost always you do not need a plate or lights. Always good to ensure though.

So given those basic guidlines, decide which type of event you prefer and then go pick one! I like timekeeping, it is more challenging to me as it is more than just being able to ride fast.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

more from NVTR
Here are a couple lessons learned that I had;
-prepare the bike days before the ride, make sure the bike is tiptop before the start.
-Drink lots of water on the days leading up to the ride
-ride your ride and try to have fun, have a good attitude even when things get tough
-depending on your riding skills, if you start front to middle row you will likely become frustrated and even have a few spills by
trying to let people pass. Do not pre-enter, get their early on race day and get in a back row. This allows you to
relax more and not and worry about other riders. The trail may be chewed up, rutted more, but I always found it more fun

DC
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

motojunky wrote:
Firebolter wrote: Time keeping events are fun, and yeah, you gotta be fast to do good, but a good consistent pace sometimes, you survive attrition and the heat and such and get a 2nd place in your class!
Funny that you mention that... that's exactly how I got this. On a 20+ year old XR250 even.

Where are you located? I'd sure like to check out your Scorpa long ride. I have a regular SY250 and really like the idea of the long ride. Big chunk of change though...

I got 2nd in B SSR that same race (2009), that was a hot mofo! I am in Eastport.
Lots of cool bikes---
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Firebolter wrote:

I got 2nd in B SSR that same race (2009), that was a hot mofo! I am in Eastport.
Cool. I'll never be fast, but slow and steady I can do. I'm no fan of the heat, but I'll take it over mud at Delaware any day.

Maybe we can get together to do a little trials plonking sometime?
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
skierd
DAMN Expert

Post by skierd »

One of my goals for next year is to try an enduro, so assuming I can get time off I'm game. Wouldn't mind a weekend prior to an event to do some suspension testing too, I'm hoping to go to MRP at some point in January to redo the suspenders.
Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time...
'08 WR250R w/ an X change