I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Dumb Question time - Handguards

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: Dumb Question time - Handguards

Post by Wingfixer »

Junior wrote:My levers are lower then my handgruads and i have never had a problem. I wreck all the time. Levers are cheap broken fingers suck. :shrug:
What he said. I have experimented with different positions for both the levers and the hand guards. I have settled on the levers angled down a bit for comfort and the guards level for protection. I found that if the guards where angled down my hands, and fingers where getting whacked by branches, and the occasional rock. With them level that was not a problem and I have yet to break, or even bend a lever with them in this position (not that I wreck very often or anything. :target: ).
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Junior
DAMN Poohba

Post by Junior »

Wingfixer wrote:
Junior wrote:My levers are lower then my handgruads and i have never had a problem. I wreck all the time. Levers are cheap broken fingers suck. :shrug:
I have experimented with different positions for both the levers and the hand guards. .
:hi5: That`s funny I thought the best position for your hand guards was on the back of skinny J`s bike? :amazon: :rayof:
99 WR 250 Goat
07 DR 650 Mule
14 Super Tenere 1200 OX
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

A pic of my guards/levers, for your viewing pleasure:

Check out my slick new turn signals, Christmas present from the parents.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Junior wrote: :hi5: That`s funny I thought the best position for your hand guards was on the back of skinny J`s bike? :amazon: :rayof:
Yer a funny f'er, you are. And it has only been the right one that has ridden on Jay's bike - twice.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
OldmanX
DAMN Expert

Post by OldmanX »

phoo wrote:.

Oh, one thing that did suck is when I fell down, my guard twisted up on the bar and broke the wires to my hydraulic pressure brake light switch. So make sure the guard is tight. :-/

~Patrick
One thing that will help keep the guards from moving on impact is to tap the inside of the bar ends and install threaded inserts. The expandable bar end fasteners just don't hold well enought to keep the guards in place during a solid impact.
530 XCR-W...plated
300 XC
WR450
XR600R...for sale
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

OldmanX wrote:One thing that will help keep the guards from moving on impact is to tap the inside of the bar ends and install threaded inserts. The expandable bar end fasteners just don't hold well enought to keep the guards in place during a solid impact.
I did that this go round - was pretty easy to do too. :thumbup:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

> install threaded inserts

Something like these?

http://www.hyderacing.com/images/produc ... tbei_t.jpg

http://www.hyderacing.com/off_road_motorcycle.htm

I tightened the bejezus out of everything and did a little "don't crash" dance, so hopefully that'll work. And this thread just reminded me to get back out to the garage to solder those wires so I'm ready for tomorrow. :)

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200