I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Tire and Tube recommendations

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Tire and Tube recommendations

Post by mdubya » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:41 pm

FOX8505 wrote: Slime you say? now I didn't realize you could slim a tube/tire combo. Always thought that only worked on a tubeless tire. I don't mean to highjack your thread but it all seems in context the orginal question.
Yep. The front actually has the original tube from when the bike was new (9/2002). The original rear lasted until I tried to keep pace with RRob and BDirt at Green Ridge last year. RRob ended up with a flat too on that lap. BDirt was un-blemmished. :lol8: :screwy:
Last edited by mdubya on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

gtop

Post by gtop » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:43 pm

I've been hearing great things about this setup. http://www.nuetech.com/tubliss.shtml

DINGO

Post by DINGO » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:29 pm

gtop wrote:I've been hearing great things about this setup. http://www.nuetech.com/tubliss.shtml
Thanks for the note on the Tubliss core (system where you can run using no tube in your tire). After reading a couple threads on advrider http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ht=tubliss I am not sure if they are right for me. I'm afraid that with their pention for just "blowing" and not giving you a slow leak, at higher speeds on long dirt roads (or especially pavement) that it could cause a pretty nasty wreck. They seem to be for a slower paced moto ride, and are not recommended by the manufacturer for Dual-Sport bikes that may run at higher speeds on dirt or on the pavement.

Is there really any difference if I had a stock 80/100-21 on the front and replace it with a 90/90-21 instead?
Also, what about the rear? I had a 110/100-18 on the rear and was thinking of switching to a 120/90-18.

seems like a minor ratio change, but I curious how these changes could effect the ride of a bike. Has anyone made these sort of changes before?

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:43 am

I've had a tire go at 80 mph on the highway, its not that bad. Was no big deal, just coast to a stop.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:02 pm

DINGO wrote:
Is there really any difference if I had a stock 80/100-21 on the front and replace it with a 90/90-21 instead?
Also, what about the rear? I had a 110/100-18 on the rear and was thinking of switching to a 120/90-18.

seems like a minor ratio change, but I curious how these changes could effect the ride of a bike. Has anyone made these sort of changes before?
They are probably the same size tire, just different way of measuring between manufacturers. i.e. the 80/100 probably measures 80 mm at the carcass and the side wall is also 80 mm (100% of 80). On the 90/90 the tire measures 90 mm wide at the edges of the knobs and the side wall is 81 mm (90 x 90%), so pretty much the same.

With the 110/100 the tire measures 110mm at the carcass, and the side wall is 110 mm (100%). On the 120/90, the tire is 120mm at the edge of the knobs and the side wall is 108mm or 120 x .9. Roughly that exact same measurements, just differing ways to measure.

If you want to be sure, just check the recommended rim size for the tire from the manu.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC