I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Shenandoah 500 DS 1/2 Oct 2011

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Shenandoah 500 DS 1/2 Oct 2011

Post by Rut Row »

ReardenSteel wrote:So when you guys say "at tech," are you implying some sort of technical inspection to insure you have spark arrestor, plates, etc?

What else is involved "at tech"?

Tks in advance,
insurance must match registration which must match bike, bike needs to be street legal but don't go overboard - needs the obvious, mirrors decent muffler, etc
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Ken hit it mostly. Registration to the bike and plate on that bike all must match so we knowingly don't let a non street legal bike out on the course or knowingly let a possible stolen bike out there if all of the numbers don't match (plate to registration). Insurance is between you and the man if you get stopped. We won't be checking insurance cards. I'll make sure all of the tech guys know the deal. We look for leaky brakes and obvious stuff. We'll ask you about tires and offer air. We will recommend 15lbs, but I personally won't run that! I like 14/12 approx on my bike and I use normal tubes and knobbies. While we normally have a sound level tester, we don't use it as a req't. I have only used it a couple of times upon request. It is pretty easy to pass tech as long as the bike is not stolen and a mechanical mess!

I'll be working TECH with about 2-3 others and I have the "tools" to make any bike acceptable, if the price is right! :lol2:
(TECH loves heavy IPA's, nice and cold)
Lots of cool bikes---
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

The Wasp passed tech last year :lol2:

btw, I think I have a co-passenger lined up - Eric Whitney of the famous Whitney sidecar racing family :loveit:

The Wasp shall return! :hi5:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Just curious....and this maybe the wrong venue, but :shrug:

Does the sponsoring club, or AMA, assume any liability after passing a bike through the "tech inspection? Say, I'm told to run 15lbs and I have a tire peel off and crash? Or my brakes fail after I was told they were ok?

A waiver seems good for most places. Is the inspection a Forest Service requirement?
Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

dirtygrunt wrote:Just curious....and this maybe the wrong venue, but :shrug:

Does the sponsoring club, or AMA, assume any liability after passing a bike through the "tech inspection? Say, I'm told to run 15lbs and I have a tire peel off and crash? Or my brakes fail after I was told they were ok?

A waiver seems good for most places. Is the inspection a Forest Service requirement?

You do sign a waiver just for that very reason. The club doesn't tell you to run 15 lbs, they "recommend it" based on the rocks and speed most guys ride, your flat chance goes up. You do not have to set your tires to anything other than what you want. So you can say no thanks if offered. Mostly we do it cause alot of guys forget to check air, I know i have done it, and you don'rt want to let someone go out with 9 lbs of air in a front tire. Yes, we have seen that. We have had one guy who gets carried away and trys to "make" people take/check air. THAT WON'T HAPPEN ANYMORE.

For the brakes, we are not telling you your brakes are okay, we are looking to make sure your bike has brakes and not leaking fluid all over the place. It is both a curtousey and a "smart" thing to do to show the people who approve these events we are not just letting anybody go ride the event. There are minimum standards one must comply to. After that, it is all on you once you ride out on the course.

Even if you turn a corner and hit a hole and break your neck. Not our fault, not the states fault. It is your fault. You (by signing the waiver) give up that right and rightfully so.

You are a licensed driver out on public authorized roads so it is you that is responsible if your bike falls apart.
The inspection is so we can verify that the bikes are street legal. Mainly it is so a guy on a moto cross bike doesn't go ride the course and a 14 year old is not out there under our event title. You must be a licensed driver and have a valid registration for ther bike you are riding and we must make sure we don't allow someone to go out on the course without brakes or on a bike that is not registered.

We do more than most DS events do. 7MTN, they just looked to see if you had a working light and tail light as you left the campgrounds and mark your sticker with a check. They didn't check boo, although you had to provide that info on the registration form for entry. Same for Durty Dabbers, no real tech, just pick up your package at check in.

For these events where you are using public lands and roads, it is between you and the man. The sponsoring club just gets the approvals for the event to be on those lands for that given day and to not knowingly let someone go out on the course who is not of age and not on a registered bike. And you sign a waiver so you cannot sue the club or AMA as you are WILLINGLY participating in a an event that is dangerous and you could get hurt.

Our club trys to show we are serious and law abiding. There are many groups out there that want to shut us down, so we are proactive trying to show the state and others we are a serious event and respect the rules and want to be good users of the land. Politicin' is now part of everything regrettably.
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Our club trys to show we are serious and law abiding. There are many groups out there that want to shut us down, so we are proactive trying to show the state and others we are a serious event and respect the rules and want to be good users of the land. Politicin' is now part of everything regrettably.
Yeah, that's the most important part.
It all makes sense, thanks. :thumbup:
Bruce
GearedUp
DAMN Expert

Post by GearedUp »

As far as tech inspection goes. Its a lot more enjoyable for the rider and the support staff when you can find and take care of minor mechanical stuff before instead of during the ride.
Gary

KTM 530EXC
Kawasaki KLR650
KTM Adventure 1190R
bonehead
DAMN Poohba

Post by bonehead »

Kyler wrote:I have campsite C1 reserved. I was the first to reserve a site. :whoop:

If you call now you get your pick! :deal:

btw, the office # is 540-350-2510 and they are only open Fri-Mon. :eyes:
How many peole to a site allowed? :bandit:

any room ?
It's All Good, So Make The Day A Good One!!!
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

bonehead wrote:
Kyler wrote:I have campsite C1 reserved. I was the first to reserve a site. :whoop:

If you call now you get your pick! :deal:

btw, the office # is 540-350-2510 and they are only open Fri-Mon. :eyes:
How many peole to a site allowed? :bandit:

any room ?
Each camp site may host only 1 RV, trailer, pop-up, or fifth wheel camper. Up to 1 additional tent may be set up in addition to a camper. If no camper/trailer on site, up to 2 tents may be set up per site.
And no, my site will be full with me 'n Bucho
Ken
ReardenSteel
DAMN Wanabe

Post by ReardenSteel »

Tons of awesome info... Thanks! :loveit:
Rearden Steel
'20 WR250R
'19 FJR1300ES
'10 Yamaha Grizzly 700 4x4
Eastern TransAmerica Trail 2011