I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MD ORV Stakeholders Meeting Notes

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

MD ORV Stakeholders Meeting Notes

Post by Rut Row »

Today I attended the first Maryland ORV Stakeholders Meeting to discuss opening new riding areas in Maryland. The meeting was well represented by the riding community by the following:

Mike Twigg (Retailer)
Randy Beeman (ATV)
Ken Kyler (WATR & DAMN Riders)
Bill Menges (AMA D7)
Wind O'Neal (Motocross)
Mike Taylor

From the DNR were:

Paul Peditto (Group Leader)
Mark Biels (GR Forrest Mgr)
Greg Bartles (DNR Police)
Steve Carr (Trails Manager)
Sunshine ??? (DNR Ecologist)

There were also representatives from the snowmobile community and one from the off-road trucks.

Paul opened the meeting and laid out the scope of what the State would consider for riding areas. He stated that it is within the discretion of the DNR to open new areas within 90 days once an acceptable site or sites were selected. He did not see any need for legislation and they even have the power to waive small incursions into sensitive areas.

Areas that cannot be considered are wildlands, wildlife management areas, fish management areas and any area deemed ecologically sensitive such as high value conservation forests

Areas that can be considered are state forests and parks plus any public partnership managed land where the partnership permits ORV use.

I asked them to publish the criteria and provide maps showing the areas they would not consider so that we could look at existing state land and suggest new areas other than what was mentioned below - they agreed.

The State is willing to lease or purchase land and enter into partnerships to manage private land for public use. The appeal to the last item is the land owner transfers any liability to the State.

He showed maps of 4 areas that the State could open quickly (I forgot to write down the names - sorry) and that included one area where the State would lease an existing trail system.

There was a good discussion about what constituted a good riding area and obviously that ran the gamut from 2-track to tight single track. When the first map was shown with their suggestion of a trail, Mike Twigg and I pointed out that a lot of single-track could be opened in that area - there was a long pause by the DNR folks - I don't think they had considered that. However, early in the meeting Paul stated he wanted trails that could be marked green, blue black, etc and our suggestion fitted into that - they seemed to be onboard with the concept of opening new single track. There was a lot of discussion about the 4 areas and how they could be modified for use. BTW, the State does have some funds available to open trails.

I spoke with Mark Biels (Green Ridge Manager) after the meeting and asked for permission to scout areas outside of the ecologically sensitive areas to be considered for opening. He was amicable to that.

The next meeting will be in Sept.

I was quite encouraged with the sincerity of the DNR people. I believe they are committed to opening new trails. The proof of course is in whether or not they actually do.

I think this summarizes the salient points. I'll post the meeting minutes Paul publishes when I get them.

Ken
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: MD ORV Stakeholders Meeting Notes

Post by Bucho »

That sounds much more positive then I had expected.

That DNR would also consider opening up some single track for bikes is even better.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Thanks for the update.
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Off to a much better start than what I would expect :thumbup:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Ken THANK YOU for your EXPERT representation.

This sounds promising!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
badguy
DAMN Expert

Post by badguy »

BigBird wrote:Ken THANK YOU for your EXPERT representation.

This sounds promising!
Ditto :thumbup:
RadioRyder
DAMN Expert

Post by RadioRyder »

badguy wrote:
BigBird wrote:Ken THANK YOU for your EXPERT representation.

This sounds promising!
Ditto :thumbup:
+1 :thumbup:
06 Suzuki DR-Z400S
Joker
DAMN Expert

Post by Joker »

Thanks Ken!! I think it is extremely important to contain all trail levels and all type of orv use such as single track for bikes, quad trails, and for jeeps even. Which it appears to be a viable option. Im very proud to be in a group that is fighting for everyone's orv rights for the future! :thumbup:
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Joker wrote:Thanks Ken!! I think it is extremely important to contain all trail levels and all type of orv use such as single track for bikes, quad trails, and for jeeps even. Which it appears to be a viable option. Im very proud to be in a group that is fighting for everyone's orv rights for the future! :thumbup:
Well you 'n your Dad may be making the most significant contribution when you take the group on a tour of the Secret Riding Place. :thumbup:

The ecologist almost wet her panties at the thought of using old mines. :poser:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Thanks!
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap