I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Street legal XR100 in Maryland?

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Ruffcut
DAMN n00b

Street legal XR100 in Maryland?

Post by Ruffcut »

I guess I can post this here since I'm a NOOB.. Is it possible to make a street legal XR100 in Maryland. I already know about how to do it with 2 strokes..
I really would rather my wife ride beside me and not on the back. However last summer we bought her a 1981 XL250 because my 250r had to much torque an sat to high. Sure I could adjust height but not torque. The older XL was the right height an torque but was too heavy with no easy way to lighten. So, I have to either decide to get a bigger bike for her to be comfortable on the back or get a smaller one for her to ride awhile. After I figure out if putting a XR100 on the road is possible I'll need to find out how to make it purple and get Ray Rice to sign the DAMN thing :wallbash:
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Re: Street legal XR100 in Maryland?

Post by frogman1981 »

I got my wife a KLR250. It's soft on the torque. It can't power the wheel of the ground. An XR100 can't have much top speed. Maybe a 50cc scooter would be ok. You don't need a tag for them. I guess it depends on how fast you need to go.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

XT225 or CRF230
Bruce
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

A few years back my I bought a TTR-125L for my wife. She rode it a season in the dirt, then by the following season I made it street legal and got a tag for it. It was a good bike for her to take her MVA motorcycle test on and get her license. It was a fun little bike and I deeply regret selling it. It had its limitations on paved roads. It got up to 45-50mph pretty well and then topped out around 60mph. (I don't remember the gearing but it was about as tall as I could run on it)
If I could find one that already has a street legal title I would buy another TTR-125L, KLX140 ect...

If you have a dirtbike with a title that says "for off highway use only" or some version of that, the methods should be the same to get a tag for it.
First put all the street required crap on it, (lights, horn, reflectors, ect...)
Go to a MD inspection station and have them sign off on it.
Then go to the main MVA headquarters in Glenn Burnie and haul your bike w/ you (don't ride it there). They need to do their own inspection of your bike in the parking lot and if the dualsport gods smile upon you they will grant you a street title and a tag.

I got lucky when I did it. I went to Glen Burnie and when I just got in line for a tag. I never said anything about it being a dirtbike, just that I needed a tag for a used bike that I bought privately. The clerk somehow overlooked the part on my title that said "for off highway use only" and gave me a street title and a tag.
I was told by another guy that did this (and wasn't so lucky) that he waited through multiple lines at Glen Burnie and everyone told him "he couldn't ride his dirtbike on the street". He was polite and persistant and finally found the one employee who understood what he was talking about and helped him.

Like I said I wouldn't do it again. I think I'd just buy my wife a XT225/250. If you like Honda the CRF230 sounds like your bike.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

This is my wife circa 2008 or so.
We would ride from our house out to some local dirtroads.
Hopefully my kid will be up on 2 wheels soon and I'll get my wife another bike.

Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
zamobro9
DAMN Expert

Post by zamobro9 »

dr 200 is a pretty lame bike, good for a beginner and pretty light with low seat height. just another option
Ruffcut
DAMN n00b

Post by Ruffcut »

Okay, :nono: I will not be putting my wife on a scooter or suzuki. That will never happen because I do love an respect her. The TTR isn't a bad idea, yamadog would be my 2nd pick. I have almost everything Honda, all the bikes I listed were just what I have running. I could wire up 3 dirtbikes with dual sport wire harnesses I have laying around right now. I just sent out six emails ( 3 for XR100, 3 for TTR125) on craigslist to get rid of my winter project. Hopefully a fish will take the bait...
mcrdude897
DAMN n00b

Post by mcrdude897 »

I have an '01 that was plated in MD back around 2003. Within the last 4 years, I had RAM Cycles install Honda Trailbike's 132cc kit, a bigger carb, and gear it higher (15/39) for road speeds.

A big problem getting passed a legitimate MD inspection in 2012 will be obtaining a brake light switch which can be activated by the front drum brake. Baja Designs' rear drum switch is essentially a spring that is secured on the rear brake pedal.
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I was going to say a stock rear brake switch and a custom bracket should do what you need.

I probably have one in a box somewhere if you need one.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r