A mission for DAMN riders near Monrovia

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

A mission for DAMN riders near Monrovia

Post by motojunky » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi all,

Anyone near Monrovia, MD? Specifically the 75/80 dragway? I used to roadrace minis at the kart track there in the mid-late 90's. I'd heard that the track was sold to a developer and racing was no more. I recently heard that the kart track is still there and that it might be available for rental...

I wonder if anyone in the area might swing by when you're out on a ride and take a look at the track. I'm curious if it is still there and if so how bad it looks. The kart track entrance is on the 75 side.

I'm thinking of throwing some street tires on my wife's TTR and getting a few fellow idiots together for a mini trackday this spring.

Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic from the last time I did a track day there - maybe 2004 or so. I'm on the XR100.

old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: A mission for DAMN riders near Monrovia

Post by Bucho » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:10 pm

The kart track is still there. Its a little rough but fine for supermoto type mini bikes.
Some people have been known to just sort of drive around the fence and ride for bit, on the down low.

If it wasn't too expensive I'd chip in for a formal rental.

I also occasionally steal the wife's TTR125 and go for mini rides. I've been trying to find some time to go up to Chambersburg PA and ride at the "Warehouse". Wed nights and some Sunday mornings they have mini sumo practice. I think its $30 or $35 for a three hour practice.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee

motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Bucho wrote:The kart track is still there. Its a little rough but fine for supermoto type mini bikes.
Some people have been known to just sort of drive around the fence and ride for bit, on the down low.

If it wasn't too expensive I'd chip in for a formal rental.

I also occasionally steal the wife's TTR125 and go for mini rides. I've been trying to find some time to go up to Chambersburg PA and ride at the "Warehouse". Wed nights and some Sunday mornings they have mini sumo practice. I think its $30 or $35 for a three hour practice.
Good to know, thanks! I've been hearing about the warehouse too, as well as the indoor stuff in the DC area but I haven't gotten around to making any of them. Maybe one of these days...

IIRC, when I last looked into renting the track in Monrovia it worked out to be pretty cheap. Under $50/person for all day. I wonder if they'd let us turf up the grass a little to make it a true supermoto setup?
old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm sure they'd never notice, since they haven't really been keeping up w/ the landscaping there.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Surron UltraBee