I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Yesterday, rocked!! Also, anyone have small kids who ride

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
hondahawkrider
DAMN Poohba

Yesterday, rocked!! Also, anyone have small kids who ride

Post by hondahawkrider »

Got the heads up via the sonogram yesterday... Spawn 2.0 will be another boy :loveit:
While, I was originally "one and done", I will soon be "two and thru" (I'm 43).

Also, as Ray (Spawn 1.0) will be 4, my wife has relented and has allowed me to start considering a bike for him. He goes nuts every time he sees me on mine, and wants one. I have no delusions (well none about this anyway), I know it's going to take some time to get him ready. However, momma's approval, while reluctant is huge. However, my experience with bikes didn't happen until I was an adult. I have no real idea about how to bring a kid into the sport, as well type of bike to get. I figure I have some time, but like anything knowledge (in advance) is key.

I am doing the bicycle thing with him now. He has the balance and the skills, but errr lacks situational awareness. He gets so exited about riding, he's not aware of where he is at the time. Yeah, I know this issue, but he's not 4 yet. I have time yet, and am not in a rush, but I figured any advice would help, and knowing what kind a bike to look at for (let alone gear) ahead to time would be a good thing.
1997/8 KTM 620 EGS-E Adventure
2013 Honda CB1100
2003 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
1999 Suzuki DR350Se
TyMarp
DAMN Expert

Re: Yesterday, rocked!! Also, anyone have small kids who ri

Post by TyMarp »

I was heavy into mountain biking when riding time came for my tike. We started doing the BMX thing. I can't begin to tell you how much this did for his timing and jumping skills. After overcoming the height and weight difference of the motorcycle, he has surpassed anything I ever imagined I could do on a bike.

You're going to have a blast.
Damage Inc.
DAMN Expert

Post by Damage Inc. »

I started my son off when he was 6, he's now 9. I got him a CRF50F that was a left over. The price was good and i was able to sell for close to what it cost new. I thew in the first set of gear as an insentive to the buyer. Be prepared to go through gear quickly...D.A.M.N. they grow fast.

Ian, maboy, was big into the BMX at the time and he took to that with great ease at the age of 2ish. His first ride on the CRF didn't go so well and he got a bit frighten by it. After a few months I bought a set of training wheels for it to get his confidence back up. After just a few rides he was ready to take them back off and never looked back. I guess I got lucky because he's a madman on it now but has never hurt himself..badly. He's not into the woods thing much, he loves the MX stuff. Jumps, small woops etc. The one thing he still lacks is stopping in a box..if you know what I mean. The small bikes have trouble with larger branches and such due to the weak suspension and small tires. He's now on a KLX110, it's about the same size as the CRF70 but with 4 gears and I can upgrade to a hand clutch when he's ready.

Don't rush things. Be firm about the rules and safety equipment. I won't let him start it without all his gear on, even if it's just to pull it out of the garage. Find a good flat area to start with and walk the track first with him. Point out any and all possible hazards and show him how to aviod them. Go over all the controls and test him on how they work. He will most likely not want to wait for all of this but don't cave in. Stress the dangers but don't scare him.
I'm sure there's more but I have to get back to work now.....

I'm not sure what area you're from but Ian likes the kids track at Blue Diamond MX park in Delaware.
'00 KTM 300EXC Brakes just slow you down
'06 VTX1300r
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

OK, no kids here but have owned bikes for kids just to help spread the illness. Get an Oset, take the pegs off if needed and they can use like a push bike. It is electric so you can even use inside if you have a large area.
What you pay, you will get most back when you sell to the next DAMN rider with a lil one.
The Oset comes in different sizes so you can start them out very young.
I would think you could even take to a park and walk around or ride a bicycle with them so many options where they can get wheel time.
Once balance and throttle control is at hand you can go the 50cc Honda or mini trials bike route.
Congrats on #2 :thumbup:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

We started with a crf50 for Christmas when Jacob was 5. He promtly ran into a tree with Grandma watching :dirtdog: HaHa! He didn't get hurt & learned some respect for it right away. Outgrew bikes very quickly. I got him a crf80 next, real clutch. Then a cr85...because it was a bargan. It was very fast but like a light swich, no low end power in the woods. Now he's 13 & on a crf150rb. I can barley keep up on my crf250r which he is allready wanting to ride. I guess I'll be needing a new bike soon. :shrug: One I can tag. :lol2:
We are having a blast but he is growing up very fast now. Don't blink & enjoy the rides!
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

My boy has been riding a pw 50 with training wheels since he was 4. It would be nice if he didn't need the training wheels, but we don't have a big, flat space for him to ride so he has a blast tearing up my front yard with the extra wheels. It'll come, and when he gets big enough, I'll get him a bike big enough to ride the entire yard including the long hill in the back.

If the price doesn't scare you, an osset is much lighter and doesn't annoy the neighbors.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
motojunky
DAMN Poohba

Post by motojunky »

Congratulations!

Lots of good advice given already. We did the Oset for my now 9 year old, but after already being used to the XR50 (PW50 before that), it never clicked for her. If I had known about them at the beginning, I'd have gotten her the small one early on. I think they're the hot ticket for the first kid bike.

I don't push it. My older girl (the 9 year old) can go months without asking to ride. I keep the bike available but let her decide when she's into it. She's gotten pretty good, I think. My younger girl (7) really isn't interested. She loves to be taken for rides but isn't ready to try to ride on her own. She may never be.

old dual sported XR250R
scorpa SY250 trials
some other crap
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Howdy Jason, congrats on your new kid.
I bought one of the OSETs for my kid last season. He wasnt quite ready for it then so I put it away. But now that he is a bit taller Im hoping this season he will be. I regret not buying the smaller sized one.
If you are out my way feel free to check the oset out. Unless you have your own sweet piece of land, I think the stealth factor of the osets are the best quality.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Bucho has that right. Once he gets to that point, I'll be getting an oset so my but can ride in the woods behind my house without bothering anyone.

Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

phoo wrote:Bucho has that right. Once he gets to that point, I'll be getting an oset so my but can ride in the woods behind my house without bothering anyone.

Patrick
You are going to look like a monkey on a football riding that LiL bike behind your house :lol2:
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr