I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Chevy Cruze Diesel

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
B00ST00
DAMN Expert

Chevy Cruze Diesel

Post by B00ST00 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Anyone have first hand info on the new Cruze diesel? I'm in the market for a new car and have a lengthy commute to look forward too until I relocate. Hate to buy a car during its first year out but it has been out in other parts of the world for a while minus the urea injection. Thanks for any input!

Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Chevy Cruze Diesel

Post by Firebolter » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Well I hope it is better than the gas version :foul: . I am on a work trip now and the first car I got last Monday was a Cruze and IT SUCKED. Ball-less and a piece of junk. Very cheezy and cheap looking in the interior. I got on the freeway and could not believe hot gutless this car was, and it was brand new with less than a 1000 miles. I took it back and exchanged it. Gutless as in I couldn't get it to spin up to keep from having people all over me as I tried to merge into SOCAL traffic.

Not a big fan of Chevy's these days, their quality has slipped in my experience. The Ford's are much better and better equipped standard from what I have rented IME. I purposely rent all kinds of different brands just to check them out. Chrysler's are second to FORD's in my experience in the last 2 years.

I would definitely check them out thoroughly before I BUY ONE. Find out who makes the transmissions. VW makes a pretty good turbo diesel with good reports. Hard to find one of those to rent, but I want to try one.
Lots of cool bikes---

B00ST00
DAMN Expert

Post by B00ST00 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:42 pm

I have not drove any of the cruzes but I know they come 4cyl n/a, turbo and diesel. I'm interested in the diesel for its range. The diesel version only comes with the upgraded trim package which includes leather, not sure how it compares to other models as I just started looking.

The earlier vw diesels were solid. However from what I've read the later common rail models have plenty of issues, mainly fuel component related.

I may just stick with a Honda accord, Kia optima or something similar and skip the possible headaches of a new model year vehicle or one that has known issues. As far as ford goes I would never own one. I've had bad luck with their trucks/ warranty.

J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:20 pm

I have a 2009 common rail vw diesel with 160,000 miles.... no issues. The fuel issues are a result of people putting gas in them. There is not enough lubricant in gas and the high pressure pump fails. When this happens it recirculates metal shavings throug the system, not good and the entire fuel system has to be replaced. VW has sent new warning labels and now a recall for some type of gas pump nozzle restrictor.

Plenty of people on the internet think there cars are doomed to fail.

I happen to love my car, it does not drive like the typical economy car. It has a lot of low end torque and gets 32 mpg pulling a trailer with 2 bikes. It will pull mountains on the highway with the trailer like my diesel f350. You can't even tell your pulling the trailer except for the mileage is down from my normal 42 mpg.

B00ST00
DAMN Expert

Post by B00ST00 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:54 pm

I understand the common rail concept as I own a Dodge diesel which has already been through a set of injectors unfortunately (due to inadequate filtration; 7micron vs 2micron). With that being said my comment towards vw's stems from the amount of issues I've been reading about on the later model units through blogs and forums.

You simply cannot beat the range a diesel allows among other perks. Your post has me interested in the later vw's although I would like to find a 99-03 with 100k or so. What are your thoughts on the earlier years? I know the 05-06? were plagued with camshaft and balance shaft issues.

I checked out the Cruze closer yesterday and I'm no longer interested due to size. I also looked at the newer jettas and found that they had considerably more room. Thanks for all of your input.

Grady
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Grady » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:39 pm

The wife and I have an 06 golf tdi we've owned since new and currently has about 120k with zero problems. I don't have much to compare to since the only cars I've ever owned have all been VW's. This one being my second diesel golf. As long as you keep up on maintenance and don't skimp on cheap filters and parts, they've always been solid for me. Great mileage and fun to drive.

J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:59 am

I don't know how the prices are on the the older ones now but in 08 I started out looking for one & found the prices for good used ones was like $15,000 & up. My new Sport Wagen was $24,000. I was driving an Expedition getting 15 mpg. With the miles I was driving the VW paid for it self in fuel savings. It now has 160,000 miles & its paid for. If it blows up tomorrow I would feel I got my moneys worth out of it. (I can't believe I just said that, Knock on wood)

It still looks new & drives like new. I hope to get another 160,000 out of it but would buy another new one in a heartbeat. The 09 up ones have a lot more power & are... well new. It just doesn't seem worth it to me to pay the price that the used ones bring. I will say that the VW dealers charge way too much for service, I've done all my own including transmission services & timing belt. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

B00ST00
DAMN Expert

Post by B00ST00 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 am

Great info guys. Thanks for all the input.

B00ST00
DAMN Expert

Post by B00ST00 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Looking at 09 and up VW TDI cars and prices are all over the place! I know I can buy new @25k+\-. What would you guys spend on an 09 with around 50k miles? Just looking for a place to start as I can't really find any earlier models that are reasonable. Thanks