I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

trade options for my KLR250

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

trade options for my KLR250

Post by juddspaintballs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:05 pm

Ideally, I eventually want to tag my replacement dirt bike for street legal, but that's not a complete huge MUST for me.

I've been offered a 2002 YZ250 2 smoke in trade for my KLR250. What are your thoughts? I'm still learning how to ride off-road and I'm going mainly for woods riding.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R

Marylander
DAMN Admin

Re: trade options for my KLR250

Post by Marylander » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:19 pm

That yz is essentially the same sort of bike as I use for woods riding. Since you've already got another dual sport for mixed riding I say go for it, assuming the yz looks like a comparable trade.

thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:14 pm

Seems like you might be coming out on the short end of that one excepting the POs were really good about maintenance. A 13 year old MX bike would be something out of the range that I'd consider. That said, I wouldn't be above looking at the maintenance records before I looked at the bike.

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Jed,

A YZ 250 2T can be made into a decent woods bikes but it is going to take quite a bit of work if the bike in still in MX form. The biggest problem for a dirt noob is that in stock form the power band is digital and once flipped on is like lighting off a rocket ship headed to the moon. I would NOT recommend this bike for someone still getting used to off-road riding. There are plenty of 2T bikes out there that are purpose built for enduro riding and would be much more feasible to tag (you can tag a YZ with some parts from an old WR 2T and some DMV magic but that is another looong story)

That said, I paid $1800 for my 04 so your are talking about the same price range you are asking for your KLR; but I then probably sunk another $2K into mine turning it into an enduro bike. The following are the things I have done:
1. Re-valve and re-sprung front forks.
2. Re-built and re-valve the rear shock.
3. Fly wheel weight
4. retard the timing
5. skid-plate
6. Gnarly pipe with Q2 silencer
7. swapped out the 19" to an 18" rear with a trials tire
8. hand guards
9. and the biggest thing that finally made it really ridable was a Reluse EXP core auto-clutch.

Even with all the above, in its sole its still a MX bike and will still try to kill you if you accidently wiskey-throttle it. But, it is also a lot of fun once you come to terms with it and understand its nature, I like trail riding mine a lot...

Let me know if I can help answer any other questions you may have and good luck.

SJ

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:00 pm

thetable wrote:Seems like you might be coming out on the short end of that one excepting the POs were really good about maintenance. A 13 year old MX bike would be something out of the range that I'd consider. That said, I wouldn't be above looking at the maintenance records before I looked at the bike.
Fortunately, these things are bone simple. No matter what the PO says I would still want to get into the top end not too long after buying it and also go through and re-grease the head and suspension bearings. After that, ride it like you stole it; its a Yamaha!

juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:13 pm

I haven't heard back from the guy yet, but I'm guessing that it's probably this one:
http://winchester.craigslist.org/mcy/4783610557.html
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R

thetable
DAMN Expert

Post by thetable » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Skinny-J wrote:
thetable wrote:Seems like you might be coming out on the short end of that one excepting the POs were really good about maintenance. A 13 year old MX bike would be something out of the range that I'd consider. That said, I wouldn't be above looking at the maintenance records before I looked at the bike.
Fortunately, these things are bone simple. No matter what the PO says I would still want to get into the top end not too long after buying it and also go through and re-grease the head and suspension bearings. After that, ride it like you stole it; its a Yamaha!
True, but when you start adding in the price of replacing all the bearings and suspension internals, the price starts to mount quickly. On top of that, how is parts availability? I don't doubt the engine, it's all the stuff bolted to the engine.

Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Sell the KLR and then you can buy what you want.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:08 pm

thetable wrote:
Skinny-J wrote:
True, but when you start adding in the price of replacing all the bearings and suspension internals, the price starts to mount quickly. On top of that, how is parts availability? I don't doubt the engine, it's all the stuff bolted to the engine.
That is pretty much the case with any $1,800 bike....

juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm already assuming I'll have to have the suspension worked on ANY bike I get. A 2 stroke alone isn't making me wary, but the fact that it's also a MX bike and not a enduro makes making it into what I want more difficult.

Of course, I'd rather sell outright, but no one has nibbled yet :eyes:
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R