I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Three Springs Enduro - August 7th 2016

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
anotherguy
DAMN Expert

Re: Three Springs Enduro - August 7th 2016

Post by anotherguy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks but that's not an area where I tempt fate. My luck Officer Friendly would be waiting for me at the first road with a hangover of a galactic scale. I can't afford points on the license (work) or having a bike impounded. Next year the CRF will be tagged.

BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:11 am

I finally got my newer tagged Freeride ready to go on Friday at midnight July 6 and headed for Enduro at 5:00AM Saturday July 7. I got the latest number I could (53) but there were still another 10 rows or so behind me so I think there were over 200 riders.

The first section was the rockiest of the day and my forks (which were set up just like on my older Freeride = GOOD) were deflecting everywhere! I realized that they only had 7 street miles and 0 trail miles so were NOT broken in! DUH! After a few crashes and a some miles they did get better!

The event was VERY well done and the trails were great single track mixes of type and difficulty. I had pre-ridden over half the trails on prior weekends but by the time I got there they were significantly harder than on the pre-rides as all the many climbs had several inches of chewed up dirt on them and much of the tail (even though dry) had enough ruts to keep me busy. I knew I was way out of shape so just took it easy and tried not to crash too often. This was working until the next to last section where I looped it right at the top of one of the harder climbs of the day and bent my rear fender straight up verticle (but got it back ~ down). Then on the last section I snagged my throttle cable and hit a tree WFO in 2nd and saw a few stars!

Right after that I came upon a smallish middle aged gal with number 5 - stuck half way up a rocky climb on a full sized KTM. She had crashed and gotten it back up then been trying to kick start it for an HOUR! I got to the top and walked back down to try to help her (we were the last folks on the trail) but after 5 minutes of feeble kicking I couldn't start it either so had to leave her and just tell the crew at the last checkpoint to go get her out. I was amazed she had gotten that far on that BIG HEAVY kick start bike!

I finished with what I am sure was the highest score of anyone that didn't hour out and was TOTALLY POOPED! I had to head right home as the QOFE had a family dinner out planned for that evening. I was so tired I could barely get around on Monday and Tuesday but was OK for our weekly Wed evening group bicycle ride and after PARTY from our house. Which reminds me - the QOFE, Bandit and OFG did a 30 mile bike ride Saturday - just to make sure I was warmed up for the Enduro Sunday! DUH!

So I SURVIVED BARELY - but had fun and would try it again. DUH!
The event was extremely well done and many R&T riders and DAMN riders were there as workers. (J & J etc.)
You should all try to make it next year!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike

Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:29 am

Sam,

You are my Hero!

Nice write up; real sorry I missed it.

SJ

Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:19 pm

You're my hero too Sam. Sorry I couldn't make this year to ride it w/ you.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200