I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

RAC riding 2017

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

RAC riding 2017

Post by Skinny-J »

I believe Big Bird regularly has a permit. I have also noticed a couple new guys talking about riding RAC in their intro. I did a permit a few years back and Hare (RIP) showed us around and some of the single track and it was cool. The problem was we only got up there 3 times in the year as it was tough coordinating the schedules with the few other guys who had permits....

So I would like to survey the current DAMN masses to see who currently has a permit or who would be interested in purchasing a permit for 2017. I would be interested in getting one if I knew there would be others as well.

For those who may not know, here are more details:
RAC Permits

:think:

SJ
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: RAC riding 2017

Post by Bucho »

I was thinking about getting one for this year. If a few more of us had them, it would certainly be easier to cordinate rides and such.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

My issue with RAC was finding my way around. The first time I was there, it was amazing. The second time I was there, I realize our leader was trying to show us the boundaries so we could explore and find new things and whatnot, but to be honest I'd rather have a "regular loop" that I would do and as I became more familiar with that, start exploring around and adding and subtracting other pieces. I would love to just keep doing the first loop we did over and over (especially since a single loop was a full day, so "over and over" is a little misleading) until we got that down then branched out from there.

Long story short, if we're getting RAC permits again this year, count me in!

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

I have the track logs from both of those rides with Hare and know what you are talking about. It might take a little re-tracing but I remember one sweet little trail that followed a stream that you were clinging to the side of the bank on and another that took us up on this ridge that was about 2 feet wide with nothin in either direction. That is the stuff I would be looking to find again....

I am pretty sure Sam has some track logs that are supposed to be pretty good also.

Its sounding like we need to do this... :ride:
Stinson
DAMN Expert

Post by Stinson »

Which areas are you guys riding? I know the St. Clair area pretty well. Unfortunately some of the best stuff is on the state game lands north of there which they have been patrolling the last few years.
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

After my first time with Hare (when we hit a lot of dead ends) I got in with a group of Becky's Boyz that were riding at RAC most every Sunday. They had a local guy (Jeff) that was the ride leader who REALLY knew his way around. I sometimes had my GPS along recording the track.

At some point I took a bunch of my tracks and consolidated them into a single track that had many of the good trails on it. I've been a few times since without our guide but with my GPS and was generally able to find most of the GOOD stuff. (Although I have been known to ride my tracks in a smalish circle without realizing it :lol2: )

I still know one guy that rides there with Jeff most Sundays - except not when it's real cold or rainy etc. - that I will probably relink with this year.
(the rest of Becky's Boyz have gotten more into Trials now and don't go anymore)

Interest has recently also been expressed by a couple of other relatively new DAMN folks in tagging along next time I go.

The area I ride is along Valley Rd. between 901 and 61. The Freeride REALLY likes it there.

I've emailed with 2way2wheels and it appears he is a very knowledgeable regular there.

I'd be glad to share my tracks and between me and the others discussed above and my tracks I think we could solve the "where is the good riding" problem. Also in past years the ROOR enduro folks have cut (or re-cut) a bunch of GREAT single track there too.
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Lets do it! I'll order one.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BigBird
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by BigBird »

Bucho wrote:Lets do it! I'll order one.
YEA!

It took mine around 10 days turnaround BUT that was right at the start of the year when I'd imagine they were BUSY!
Sam Jones - Frederick MD
GL1800 DCT TRIO Tilting Trike - KTM 525 EXC - KTM 200 XCW - 2 KTM Freeride 250Rs - TRS 300 Xtrack Trials
Lots of E-Bikes/MCs
Polaris RZR 800
Lots of MTBs and Road Bikes and a BamBuk Recumbant Tandem Trike eBike
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

IN :cheers:
Bruce
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Count me in. I guess between the few weekends I can get away and some weekday riding with Bucho I can make it worth it. :hi5:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.