I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

I wanna ride a DAMN enduro!

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
BamBam
DAMN Expert

I wanna ride a DAMN enduro!

Post by BamBam »

I bought a bike (KDX220) and want to ride an enduro. But the registration forms I see are saying that a registration, plate, and insurance are required. How do you get that for a dirt bike??

A two stroke in Maryland? That seems impossible. What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
beejaytee
aka Heather

Re: I wanna ride a DAMN enduro!

Post by beejaytee »

It's not impossible but it's costly. Registration, inspection, light kit, tires, dot blinkers and headlight. $$$$$. I understand some guys here don't agree but I managed to get a plate from North Dakota by mail for about $80 and insurance is less than $100 per year. You can purchase a dualsport kit with a battery from Rocky Mountain MC for $190. After that you're good to go for those enduros. If you're not riding around town your risk of being pulled over for an outta state plate is next to none. If you have questions just PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Some enduros are closed-course meaning they don't use public streets for the transfers where you would need to be plated. Go to the ECEA schedule and look for "CC"

ECEA Enduro Schedule (note this is the 2016 schedule...)

The next CC's coming up are:
RORR (Broad Mtn) on May 28
Foggy Mountain on June 25
Rattlensnake on July 23 (although this is a National)
Moonshine on September 24.

I highly recommend all of these but you had better like rocks (aka PA sand....)

SJ
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

If you are just doing enduros, you can pretty much skip all the street legal DOT stuff. Stick a headlight and tail light/brake light on there and you'll be fine.

Some folks cough cough may borrow plates off their other bikes to run enduros cough cough. I probably wouldn't do such a thing in NJ though :screwy:

My dirt bikes are insured like any other motorcycle. Bonus is it is usually super cheap, even with full coverage (theft :dry: )
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

gots_a_sol wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 8:45 amSome folks cough cough may borrow plates off their other bikes to run enduros cough cough. I probably wouldn't do such a thing in NJ though :screwy:
I'll never forget to look on the face of a rider at the Hammer Run who wheelied past a DNR officer and was stopped and the officer had his KTM with Kawasaki plates towed. :killingme:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

My KDX has a working headlight and tail light, and I have no intention to street ride other than as required in an enduro. So I guess that part is good.

I'd like to do the plate thing legally, but through a state that allows it better than Maryland. Mail order? It's notarized bill of sale, two stroke, 220cc. I hear VT is good? If that doesn't work than is ND an option?

Do I get insurance first before the plate... any suggestions for a carrier? Or just use my home/car state farm agent?

Thanks for the help! I've wanted to try an enduro since reading about Blackwater 100 in high school. This June 11th I'd like to try that NY event!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

FWIW, my kdx220 has a SD tag/title.
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

ND was two forms and the title or mco. Not insurance needed before the plate arrives. I use progressive and I like it. Notarized bill of sale should work too. You can call the office in ND they are easy to get ahold of. I'll look for the number.

2012 Ktm 500xcw
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

South Dakota was what I got. Not north. Sorry.

2012 Ktm 500xcw
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Here is the thread on the SD plate/title. Some guys are getting them even without a title/mso or BOS (which I think requires an additional form)

http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.p ... r-ANY-Bike!
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0