I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

Helmets

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
slacktrack
DAMN n00b

Re: Helmets

Post by slacktrack » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:54 pm

My thanks to Daves08excr for letting me try on his AFX. I have a Shoei-shaped head...that is until I tried on the AFX. DAMN near the perfect shape for my mostly spherical melon. In fact I was almost comfortable after wedging myself into his size L helmet, whereas I usually require at least an XL. I guess the polycarb shell helps by having a wee bit of give, whereas composite or carbon-composite shells tend to be stiff and unyielding.

The bill could be a little longer, and for this price they skipped some of the fine detailing like flexible finish strips to cover molded edges and to seal the shield, but it seemed like excellent value-for-money. I especially liked the roomy ear cut-outs.
Dave
'89 Honda NX650

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Fri May 01, 2009 8:24 am

slacktrack wrote:Any idea if anyone local stocks the AFX? I'd need to try one on in person to figure out whether I need XL or 2XL to fit my melon.
+1
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

Skyclad

Post by Skyclad » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:25 pm

GSSteve wrote:I just bought an AFX FX37Ds dual sport helmet, looks and functions like the Arai XD and the Shoei Hornet but is only $103 shipped. I got it the other day and although I have not ridden with it yet, it fits well and is comfortable.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/ ... elmet.aspx
I have one of these as well. Good helmet overall. Light and comfortable to wear long distance. The visor does not cause any buffetting and it is not al that loud. Cross winds can give your head a bit of a jerk, but I think that will be true with any DS/dirt hemlet.

Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:46 am

I recently purchase the HJC IS Max modular, flip up or whatever. My other FF was black and seemed to be getting loose. Any excuse for a new lid. :deal:
I like the integrated goggle type sun glasses. It seems quieter.
I also like the flip up feature. I'm not 100% convinced it is as safe or crashworthy as a regular FF. But we all take risks and I sometimes ride with an MX helmet. So I feel safe.

Bruce

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 am

I have a Caberg Justissimo which was the first FF with a internal visor - I love that feature!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

GSSteve
DAMN n00b

Helmets

Post by GSSteve » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:21 pm

As a follow up to the AFX DS37, I wore it several times, it wasn't a bad helmet it felt cheaper than the Shoei that I am used to, I found there was face shield distortion down low near the nosepiece that bothered me. Also, the chin strap seemed in a weird spot, it was pretty far back and hit my throat in a weird spot.

Found a smoking deal on a closeout at bikebandit, I got a Shoei Hornet orange and black two tone Sonora for $225 shipped.

I sold the AFX on ADVRider, I am happier with the Shoei