I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Dual Sport Advice Needed

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: Dual Sport Advice Needed

Post by Rut Row »

Marylander wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:42 am Very cool. I had dirt wheels for my X but I sold them. The idea of swapping stuff sounds good but I'm way too lazy in practice. :)
I had sumo wheels for my first 450. After awhile I too decided it was too much work.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I was surprised at how fast Phil could take the corners with the knobbies on his 650. If I had a dual sport with knobbies I'm sure I would still ride it conservatively on the street but it was cool to see that they can be pushed harder on pavement. Given the significantly greater power of that 650 I think he might be able to leave me behind on certain twisty roads if I was on my wr250x. I would have to ride my 690 instead. :)
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Marylander wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:19 pm I was surprised at how fast Phil could take the corners with the knobbies on his 650. If I had a dual sport with knobbies I'm sure I would still ride it conservatively on the street but it was cool to see that they can be pushed harder on pavement. Given the significantly greater power of that 650 I think he might be able to leave me behind on certain twisty roads if I was on my wr250x. I would have to ride my 690 instead. :)
You can ride pretty hard w/ knobbies on the pavement, as long as you are smooth they stick fairly well.

However, if/when you do have to brake really HARD, they obviously just don't have the same grip as good sumo rubber.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

On my KLR running a D606 rear and MT-21 front, I've scraped a peg a time or two. Same for my GS running Michilen Wilds or TKC80s. I'm not normally grinding hard parts but the tires have the grip to do it. In the wet, that's a nuther story but that's why my 1200GS has those tires on it. I'm always ready to go off-road but don't give up much other than the noise they make on the road.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain