I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Beta Demo Tour - Paxinos, PA

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Beta Demo Tour - Paxinos, PA

Post by BamBam »

Got a chance to ride a bunch of new Beta's at their demo tour this weekend. Fun! Only downside is that it rained for 36 hours prior to Saturday afternoon making for crazy slick mud conditions. My personal kryptonite of hell. Again. :knary:

If nothing else, it did give you a chance to ride under the worst conditions possible, and Beta's do seem to shine when chugging slow through slick uphill mud/roots/rocks. Each bike had such a distinctly different feel, it would really take several turns to really get the groove with each bike to appreciate its abilities better. But in one several mile lap each, here are some impressions:

First was Beta 350RR. Went with this first because I am already on a 4 stroke. This one felt heavy like any 4 stroke, but engine was super smooth (like sewing machine electric motor smooth) and suspension was spot on for me. Getting onto the course I was surprised with a downhill and then a jump setup over a stream, and hit it kind of hard unsuspecting. The big 350 landed like a plush pillow. That moment was what I remembered most on that bike. And just having no problem with low end grunt, motoring up the tough slick hill sections without stalling. It wasn't scary powerful. A very nice dual sport setup.

Next up was the 2 stroke 300RR. Found myself really enjoying this bike, and thinking I could/should be going faster. It was so natural feeling working along with me, not fighting me. I I noticed a happy surprised "Harumph" at one point in the video. All in all probably the best fit for me of the Betas. If I was going 2-stroke, this might be it. Seat height was lower than I expected on the full size RR though, I was easily flat footed. My buddy who was there (and a MUCH better rider than me, who loves his Husky300 and thought no Beta was worth a DAMN) left VERY impressed with the 300 RR race edition as his favorite bike of the day. He was stunned by how well it performed for him.

Next I rode the 250 RR race edition. The engine stood out most for me as this memory. Strong. Steep linear 1980's MX bike strong with some pipe. It wanted to rip and was pulling arms, probably too much/abrupt power delivery for my skill set. And then there were moments I hesitated in the woods and fell off my line, and this bike still pulled some of the lowest slowest RPM's of my ride. When needed, the grunt was still there.

Lastly was the 200RR. This was a little ripper, and wanted to scream and play. Daring me to bang gears and get in over my head. And I did. Ha! But sooooo much fun to rip around, begging me to push harder. Raced away from the start screaming revs and banging gears, almost laughing. Hit that first jump and the front wheel got way high. Had 50ft of track ribbon wrapped around my leg part way through the course. Going into the woods, 1st gear seemed almost too short and low, especially compared to the other bike ratios. It had some torque and I think if you learned the bike with more than a quick lap it would have much more to offer. But I am a little old and heavy to be ripping around like a maniac these days. Maybe not for me.
Attachments
20190420_122257-1.jpg
20190420_114308.jpg
2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Beta Demo Tour - Paxinos, PA

Post by Boom Boom »

Great ride report. Just get one of each.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

I wish I coulda made this! I've had my eye on a 390 for dual sport service, would have loved to do a 350/390 back to back comparo.

ETA I do LOVE my 300!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

Don't forget the venerable 430cc Beta that seems well received.

This guy really loved it, in what appeared to be a very tough demo course
2001 Honda XR 200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

430 hmm :think: another new bike is a year or so away but that gives me something else to think about. Thanks for posting that vid!
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Really wanted to go , but also really don't want to sell any of my organs to get a 200RR :killingme:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

gots_a_sol wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:08 pm Really wanted to go , but also really don't want to sell any of my organs to get a 200RR :killingme:
Hmm, I noticed that this was post 666 for you. I'm not saying you're cursed now and have no choice but to buy the 200RR but who knows...
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

BamBam wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:39 pm Don't forget the venerable 430cc Beta that seems well received.

This guy really loved it, in what appeared to be a very tough demo course
Cool video!

Is the information about the motors correct? I thought I heard other vids talk about how the 350 and 430 have revvier short stroke motors and seem to be better for faster more aggressive riders and the 390 has a long stroke motor. Not as a revvy and is better for the dualsport guy and/or slower rider.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

BamBam wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Next up was the 2 stroke 300RR. Found myself really enjoying this bike, and thinking I could/should be going faster. It was so natural feeling working along with me, not fighting me. I I noticed a happy surprised "Harumph" at one point in the video. All in all probably the best fit for me of the Betas. If I was going 2-stroke, this might be it. Seat height was lower than I expected on the full size RR though, I was easily flat footed. My buddy who was there (and a MUCH better rider than me, who loves his Husky300 and thought no Beta was worth a DAMN) left VERY impressed with the 300 RR race edition as his favorite bike of the day. He was stunned by how well it performed for him.

Very cool you went to the demo ride.

Did you get a chance to ride the Xtrainer?
I think a lot of guys who like the 300 might even be better suited for the Xtrainer. It has a an even lower seat height than the 300rr and has the same very strong low end power. It kinda gets labeled as this "beginner bike", I remember bike mags calling it "... a great bike for your girlfriend...".
Fast, harescramble racers need not apply. It has a different (cheaper) suspension that is very plush and works great at slower speeds in gnarly terrain but not as great for really fast open riding.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

I thought the seat height on the regular 300RR was shorter than expected, so didn't wait on line to ride the even-shorter Xtrainer. However, my boss came out to the demo ride too, specifically looking to ride the Xtrainer with a future purchase in mind. He actually took it around twice. But the conditions were really slick and challenging, and he dropped the bike a bunch (mostly on inclines where he needed to put a foot down and missed footing falling to the low side). I think he still liked it overall, but wish he had better conditions to work with.

Gotta say it was exhausting, but looking back you only remember the fun parts and I wish I cold have ridden more. Should have taken the 300 RR race edition around, and the 430 4-stroke (but I chickened out when the big boy was available)

Here is what I looked like on the 200RR. It was begging me to go faster, screaming louder than my skill set. A potential recipe for disaster. Note the high front wheel jumping that first stream, nearly taking out the red sign to my right, and I can see now the white ribbon I hooked and drug around the course. LOL

2001 Honda XR 200