I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Single track rear tire: Trials vs motocross style?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Single track rear tire: Trials vs motocross style?

Post by smdub »

I loathe myself already as I'm starting a tire thread :screwy:

Background: Getting the bikes ready for the Shen 500 in two weeks and a 4-day trip to Hatfield McCoy two weeks after that. Some of the guys I ride w/ are top level riders. Used to race, done the TAT, half my age, twice as crazy, much better fitness, etc. I have all the excuses. They love technical nasty stuff. Last year, we went straight to the advanced ATV connector trails on the Shen 500 the first day and ignored the whole planned route. In the past I've been able to sort-of keep up by using my old age and wisdom. That boils down to basically cheating and bringing more machine (light KTM vs their heavy DRZs) and some training (trials.) Over the last year they've all upgraded to a new 2T 300 Husky, newer KTM500, and a new Beta 430. I am screwed. :lol2:

So here I am yesterday staring at the two rear tires I have for the KTM. One is a Pirelli MT43 Pro trials-type hybrid and the other is your typical moto-x blocky tread pattern. Both are fairly worn and I'm in a bit of a conundrum. Which do I replace and put on the bike? I haven't done enough off-road to really know which suits which terrain. I just ride whats on the bike. So... My question to those more experienced than me: Which type should I use? I'll probably get a new MT43 or K760. I know the motox style is better in really loose stuff and mud. Sounds like the trials-hybrid is better in the hardpack. FWIW, I have a tubless setup on one rear wheel so that helps. I have the stuff to outfit the other rear wheel if needed. The Shen 500 wasn't really muddy last year. I've never been to Hatfield McCoy so don't know what to expect. Should I just bite the bullet, replace both, and take both w/ me to Hatfield and pick based on condition?
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: Single track rear tire: Trials vs motocross style?

Post by Skinny-J »

I ran quite a few MT43's back in the day. If you are a finesse rider they work great in the Gnar. If you like to spin and steer with the rear; or its muddy out, or steep down hill or for leaning the bike over, then they are not so great. However, my recommendation would be to forget about trying to decide and just get something like a Kenda Equilibrium or Shinko 505 Cheater. The rubber compound is really soft just like a trials tire but the knobbies take care of all the shortcomings that a trials tire has; best of both worlds with no compromise for what you want it for.

Just my $.02.

SJ
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

My answer will echo skinnyJ's post.

I too used to run the Pirelli MT43 rear tire. That was my tire for my old KTM300. Great tire and seemed to last forever. If you gave me a bike to ride with that on the rear I would be happy. I can work well with it. Like skinnyJ said, they work with more finesse type riding. No "grip it and rip it"/tire spinning antics.

But if its worn you might as well get somthing new. I've run both the Kenda Equilibruim and Shinko 505/Cheater. I'm a big fan of both but I think I like the 505/Cheater a little better. Especially working with Tubliss and running lower pressure. Either would be a great tire at Hatfield's.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

My .02? I've run the equilibrium and currently on my second 505 cheater. I also think the 505 is slightly better than the equilibrium. They both last forever but the 505 likes the lower pressures I run (tubliss) better. I've never run a trials tire 'cause I'm straight. :deal:
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Thanks all! Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I've looked at the Equilibrium/Cheater. I've noticed the Cheater is not DOT (the Equilibrium is.) Does it matter? I don't really care as long as it doesn't come apart on the few hwy sections we have to do. The Shen500 folks don't check. I'm a slow and not-spin kind of guy. Comes from my <<1hp mtb riding I guess;)
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:14 pm Thanks all! Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I've looked at the Equilibrium/Cheater. I've noticed the Cheater is not DOT (the Equilibrium is.) Does it matter? I don't really care as long as it doesn't come apart on the few hwy sections we have to do. The Shen500 folks don't check. I'm a slow and not-spin kind of guy. Comes from my <<1hp mtb riding I guess;)

I know Janis ran a 505/cheater when we did our KAT ride. That had quite a bit of pavement. His tire held up fine.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Nobody
DAMN Poohba

Post by Nobody »

Bucho wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:19 pm
smdub wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:14 pm Thanks all! Thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I've looked at the Equilibrium/Cheater. I've noticed the Cheater is not DOT (the Equilibrium is.) Does it matter? I don't really care as long as it doesn't come apart on the few hwy sections we have to do. The Shen500 folks don't check. I'm a slow and not-spin kind of guy. Comes from my <<1hp mtb riding I guess;)

I know Janis ran a 505/cheater when we did our KAT ride. That had quite a bit of pavement. His tire held up fine.
Yes, but that trip finished it quickly. It was new on the start and replaced immediately after the trip :)
Every day is a good day when you ride
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I also like the 505 cheater a lot. I've done a good bit of pavement on them.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Run the 43 you have for Shen, perhaps flip it for a fresh edge. They run forever and the Shen 500 has plenty of asphalt and fast dirt. It will be fine. Get a soft know for Hatfield. Plenty of mud areas where the equilibrium will not work as well. SJ pretty much summed it up.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

Here is the dunlop 606 that I have been riding tubliss on since before the colorado trip of 2014. It was seeping slime through the sidewall for the past year or so and finally refused to hold air for more than a couple hours. It would hold no air at granvilles last week but no matter. after at least 40 miles of pounding singletrack, it finally gave up down at 301 and started to wobble too much so I guess its time for a new tire. All these fancy hybrid tires weren't even out when I put this on so this is a great thread for me :think:
tubliss.jpg