I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Bikes for short people / newbs?

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Bikes for short people / newbs?

Post by smdub »

I mean ZERO disrespect to those inseam challenged or trying to pick up the sport (quite the opposite!) I have been trying to get a couple of my coworkers/friends into riding and the DRZ is too tall for all but two of them. Its also too heavy for many of them to pick up. Lets face it, a motox or full-sized dual sport are BIG tall bikes and not easy to learn on. (Three of them are already signed up for a MSF course next month!)
I've had a wonderful friend give my wife her first riding lesson on his OLD Honda restored 150(??). That was a GREAT size for a starter bike. My wife both rode a motorcycle and used a clutch for the first time in her life (though as she got tired, so did kick starting it.) I now have the Sur-Ron electric for the ideal wife/intro bike. It 3/4 the size of a real dirt bike and non-intimidating but won't teach shifting/clutch (and thus still a huge jump from the 110# of that to the 300# DRZ)
So where to go to from there? I'm *TRYING* not to end up w/ more bikes before I sell a few. I'm tempted to find a long range seat/tank combo for the Rev3. Its fits the bill of short & really light but w/o being able to sit down its really intimidating to newer riders (have had one guy launch it when he dumped the clutch.) Or do I just bite the bullet and pick up something small when a deal is found even if I have to store it on top of something else? ;) It would be GREAT if I could get more people (incl my wife) into the sport.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: Bikes for short people / newbs?

Post by Boom Boom »

Do not do the seat to the Beta Rev, pegs back to far and makes toes point to the ground....just not comfortable at all and shifting is a different beast.
I have a TTR-125 with e-start that my wife will putt around on and good fun for the younger kids as a step up from an 80.
Do a post here, also MATU and even ADV rider with what you are looking for and have a Beta or two for trade if interested. I often see guys wanting to offer dirt bikes in trade for trials bikes to have a go. If wanting a plated bike then the Honda 230L is a gutless little bike but has a very low seat height and will run forever.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

have you legs stretched? :shrug:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Honestly, the SurRon seems like a great, "easy" bike for a noob to learn on. At least get some basic skills before jumping up to a clutch/shifting bike.

Earlier this year, I bought a Kawasaki KLX140L for my wife to putt around on. These and the Yami TTR125 are great bikes for that type of riding.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

TTRs, KLX 140, CRF230, Older Xr's, KLX 250. AJPs. DR200. Xt22/250.
Vintage trials bikes have seats.
More $$-->Freeride, X ride, XTrainer :shrug:
Bruce
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Rut Row wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:44 pm have you legs stretched? :shrug:
Said the freakishly tall guy.
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

I pulled the ttr125 out of the shed over the weekend. I've decided to sell it so I can buy some other stuff without my wife making any complaints. ;) It's got the magic button and a li-ion battery. It could use a size or two up on the pilot for easier cold starting but it'll start as is, you just gotta hold the button a bit. It's been out to a couple DAMN rides...
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

KTM 250 XCF, and get it lowered. Great bike, electric start, easy power delivery, and it'll rip if you want it to. If whoever doesn't take to riding, take out the shorter springs and spacers, and you've got a great bike. A good friend got one for his kid to learn on and he's doing fine. He put a rekluse in it that made it even easier for his kid. I spent about 8 hours on it a few weeks ago, and loved it. My 300 has more power everywhere, which is nice, but if you whisky throttle a 300 it can hurt you. The 250 XCF had such an easy, smooth power delivery.
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

I was just reading up on the 2020 Betas, they can be ordered lowered by 2" straight from the factory all models across the board dubbed "low boy" So there is hope to learn all that cool stuff like pivot turns etc. lol :cheers: that just opens up a buffet for the short class the way I see it :eats:
:jack:
https://betausa.com/content/SUPPORT_PDF ... ersion.pdf
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

aai wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:06 pm I was just reading up on the 2020 Betas, they can be ordered lowered by 2" straight from the factory all models across the board dubbed "low boy" So there is hope to learn all that cool stuff like pivot turns etc. lol :cheers: that just opens up a buffet for the short class the way I see it :eats:
:jack:
https://betausa.com/content/SUPPORT_PDF ... ersion.pdf
Yeah, the Betas are a little lower compared to the other Euro bikes.

Cool that they will lower then a little more right from the factory by request
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200