I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

setting up the van

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

setting up the van

Post by Firebolter »

I installed a BOLTITDOWN system in my 148 MR Transit last night. I used this system in Seans toy hauler and really liked it! You install it literally in 2 minutes with no tools and it is rock solid. Uses J hooks to the D ring with hand screw down knobs (NO TOOLS!). I like that once I get to the camp site, unload the bikes, I can take it out and have full floor space to camp with no stuff in the way! If you have the extended van you can use the factory D rings to install, but since I have the 148, I added 2 Ford D rings to the floor. I had my D rings mounted 92 inches from the inner edge of the read door sill and about 5 inches in from the sides of the van. This allows for 2 dirt bikes to be loaded and still have about 3-4 inches of space between the rear tire and doors when closed. Also leaves me with a nice open space in front for all my gear, chairs and stuff plus you can shove coolers and shit in between the bikes too. I also bought a fitted rubber mat to cover my stock Ford vinyl floor cover so I can easily remove it and wash it and not trash my stock vinyl floor. Love this set and digging my new van! Now I can park with all my bikes and gear safely inside and no more tents!

Now I am part of Wingfixers "Rape Van" crew! :loveit: :cheers: :knary:

Lots of cool bikes---
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: setting up the van

Post by Bucho »

Thats a nice floor. Interesting bike set up.
Vans are really the way to do things for dirtbike riders.

Welcome to Van Life!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Get the wall liner kit before you have a bike tip and put a nice dent in your sides....also will be soooo much quieter. They make travel so nice and camping is not bad either.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Yeah, I found a nice liner kit that is made for the van and it is R4 insulated. It fits in the holes already there with push plugs. gonna do that when I come back from my work trip.

Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Armoured truck or paddy wagon?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Laoch wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:45 pm Armoured truck or paddy wagon?
given the theft rate for motorcycles, and armored car isn't a bad idea!
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Do you do much camping in the van? Where, if I may ask?

I've considered a camper top for my F-150 but the places I haul the bike to have camping at or nearby and I'm a pretty comfortable tent camper or grab a hotel room nearby. I thought about setting something up like this for my track days but I fell into a groove where I'd just do one day and go home.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Rut Row wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:08 pm
Laoch wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:45 pm Armoured truck or paddy wagon?
given the theft rate for motorcycles, and armored car isn't a bad idea!

I drove an armored truck for a while. They aren't very secure, trust me. I could open one up with a halligan fairly easily.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Twist wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:33 am Do you do much camping in the van? Where, if I may ask?

I've considered a camper top for my F-150 but the places I haul the bike to have camping at or nearby and I'm a pretty comfortable tent camper or grab a hotel room nearby. I thought about setting something up like this for my track days but I fell into a groove where I'd just do one day and go home.
We have been on numerous week long bike trips and the friends with vans, especially ones with roofs high enough you can stand up in are awesome. You unload the bikes, put a 10x10 pop up next to the van, set up your cots in the van and you have a clean, dry place to sleep and keep all your gear. It sucks when you are camping to have to take down tents, especially if it has rained and deal with all that crap. I like just having to load bikes and some gear and go. Plus I like not having my gear and bikes exposed to the elements and thieves when I do spend the night in a hotel or go inside a store or restaurant etc. You can do the same thing in a trailer which is cool, but I don't like dealing with trailers, I like just loading up, driving off and going my merry way. I still have my pick up and will keep it, but the van opens alot of options for me to being able to just load a couple bikes and my camping gear and taking off.
Lots of cool bikes---
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Anything enclosed is a must. Trailer or van. Hours of 70 mph and driving rain does all kinds of nasty things to any bike. The ability to have tools and spares with you and no need to load or unload is priceless. I have done all combinations of pullers and trailers over the years and just kick myself in the ass I did not go van years ago. I have mine set up to sleep 3 easily. Not gonna lie. If a hot shower and hotel is close that is where this fat old man will be going but many events are just to remote so camping is a must. Nice weather then camping is a must also....camp fire - cold beer - bench racing. Yeah buddy.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr