I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Trials Bug nibbling at me

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: Trials Bug nibbling at me

Post by Bucho »

Twist wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:55 am I'm intrigued by the electric option as that would probably let me ride at home and nearby without running afoul of crabby neighbors.

I do think you will get a little more out of it, using a clutch on a normal gas bike. It should be much easier to find a used gas bike too.

I think the biggest advantage for electrics is the quiet factor. I was pretty dead set on getting an electric because I used to live in a stupid HOA neighborhood. Even in my own yard I would have had issues. However my son and I played with his electric OSET bike all over our yard AND the common area AND neighborhood, and nobody batted an eye at it.
If you have THAT kind of neighborhood than the electrics make sense. Much easier to get weekly practice in.

Luckily I moved and its not a big deal where I live now.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

Twist wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:17 pm That would be a nice and generous offer. Does it work for you guys to get out during the middle of the week or are weekends better to meet up to ride?

Anytime we get together I'll be happy to bring my WR250R and all are welcome to ride it. I've swapped it from 13/43 final drive to 12/50 which has greatly reduced the struggles I've had in the rock gardens with it.
I'm retired and other than my bride's medical appointments, can make something work. Bucho's schedule and yours will drive when we ride.

Hopefully the WX will stay in the 40+ range for a while. Yes, I'm a woosie. :angel:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

that's a cool bike you have there Ken, been looking at videos just to see what's on the dark side :cheers:
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

aai wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:05 am that's a cool bike you have there Ken, been looking at videos just to see what's on the dark side :cheers:
thanks - too bad I suck as a trials rider. But I have fun.
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Im just glad to caught up with you guys, having a bunch of trials bike owners is friggin great. Apparently this guy has a Sherco also and touches a little on comparison between the two. Pretty long video but their riding area is awesome to watch especially since we are sitting here dead in winter. :lol2:
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I live a few hours away from where you guys typically meet up or ride and if I'm going to practice at all nearer to home it'll probably need to be something stealthy. I have some rock and hill in my back yard but also have neighbors just 100' away as well. They're pretty cool but there's a few knuckleheads around here that have nothing better to do than kill someone's fun.

I really appreciate all the advice and I'm going to be looking at next week and beyond for a chance to get out and ride and maybe come up to PA to look at a couple of bikes. I'd love to find something used for less than $4500 and I can probably make myself be patient until the weather starts warming up. That's what happened to me last winter when I searched far and wide for a good WR250R at a "motivated seller" price. It started getting warm and I said "@#$% it" and went to PA and brought home a new/leftover 2018.

I'd like to keep an eye on the weather and ping you guys here if it looks good.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Wes
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Don't sell yourself short on the need to go out back and practice. I have plenty of land around me and only go practice when doing a ride day.
You are in the hood of Firebolter and he rides with us. I have riding everywhere but still travel and hour to 2 hours just to connect with friends.
To just play in your back yard you can spend hours and only gain bad habits but when with a group you have old fat jerks like me pointing out what to do different. I have had trials bikes for 45 years so does not mean I can ride all that well any longer but I do still have the ability to know if things are being done correctly.
Just my $.02
I did mention a 2016 Scorpa at the beginning of this post that I have for sale for within your budget....if that is not what you want odds are I know of others.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Scorpa just sold so that is off the market. Yo Steve... you sleeping? With you owning like a dozen trials bikes I thought you might be on here offering up what you would like to move along..
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Bruce - Ken, perhaps this conversation should be moved to a different section.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

In offline conversation with Boom Boom and others, I'm narrowing my interest down to a modern, late model gas powered trials bike. I'm mainly focused on used bikes that seem to have been well sorted and cared for and I'm ready to pull the trigger when the right bike comes along.

Thanks in advance for keeping an eye out for me!

Wes
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain