I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

BRP starting issues

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

BRP starting issues

Post by Laoch »

I'm working on my Son's BRP and he's always had issues with the thing slow cranking, it usually fires. But it sounds like it's killing the battery just trying to turn over. It as a newish agm battery, but I think it's time for a new one.
Do big thumpers usually turn over slow?
The current battery is rated at 120 cca, which seems low to me.
I don't want to spend big $$ on a Lithium battery without knowing if there is an underlying issue.
I've checked and cleaned connections.
Stator puts out 180w -when new. That also seems low.
Bruce
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Re: BRP battery

Post by Skinny-J »

Could it be the starter motor is going bad? Or the bendix is binding? I have seen that cause slow cranking with perfectly fine batteries...
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

Most of the batteries I am seeing spec-ed on interweb for a 650XRL are 120 CCA. I even see some lower. You could go up a little more for some more money though...
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Jump start it from a car/truck (that isn't running.) If it cranks fast the battery is weak.

Alternator wattage isn't that big a deal as long as it 'enough'. Test the battery voltage when the bike is running. Should be at least mid 13V.

Disclaimer: I charge batteries for a living. I've designed solar powered chargers for 20yrs. So I might know what I'm talking about. But I could also be full of s***.
Lead acid (esp AGM) is sort of a crappy battery to start vehicles with. They just aren't efficient at delivering a lot of joules at once. This is where Lithium shines. Your AGM battery is probably 12Ah? A replacement Lithium will be ~2Ah and will still deliver more than twice the starting current - even until its right on the edge of dead. That said, with only 2Ah of real capacity don't leave the lights on when stopped. Or try to crank and crank and crank to clear a flooded motor. Lithium don't really self discharge either. So come springtime your bike will fire right back up as it did in the fall when you left it and forgot to plug in the battery tender. (Lead Acid need a trickle charge for long storage.) Lithiums real Achilles heal is cold temp. Charging it below freezing plates metal onto the plates, permanently destroying them by reduceing capacity. This makes me REAL nervous even riding it sub-zero. Just the bike running will top off the charge from starting it. That's a no-no. There are a couple expensive Li brands that have built in BMS (Battery Monitoring System) and even include pack heaters. Any 'charging' current when cold really goes to the heater. I have not tested any motorcycle batteries at work so can't say how much better one brand is over another or those w/ heater systems actually work.

The PO put a Shorai in the 500 and it's worked great. The 150 has whatever Li KTM installed factory and either the battery is already weak or the starter is weak. I need to jumpstart w/ a car and see which it is (though I'm betting its the battery.) The Duc has killed at least two lead acid batteries since I've owned it. I either forget to plug in the tender over winter or the darn gfi outlet in the garage trips and I don't notice until spring. I don't ride that in the cold really so it'll get a Li batt next time it happens.

When I do get a Li batt, I'll probably get a cheap one from Rocky Mountain or Amazon and do some cycle testing at work on it. Almost all of them come from the same Chinese factories and are likely brand labeled anyway. Will let everyone know what I find when it happens.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I replaced all the batteries in my bikes with Li type. Im happier.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Thanks. I'll jump it to see if it spins faster. If it still spins slow. Starter?
I hadn't considered the starter.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
J&J
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by J&J »

For what it’s worth my BRP has a big bore & cranks a little slow for an instant then fires right up with a relatively new cheap Walmart battery. Walmart is close, the batterys are in stock & I can buy another one when it dies. The bike has always cranked like that, Jacob’s too. I do try to keep a battery tender on them.
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Good to know. I've been getting my batteries from Batteries Plus.
I think it a Duracel Ultra. Probably same as every other battery I guess.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I'd investigate the battery cables, too.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Also, a quality Li-Ion motorcycle battery is Antigravity. I believe they are made on US soil. The company stands behind their product and they are priced similarly to Shorai batteries. The one in my dirt bike even has "restart" technology where if you discharge it completely, there's essentially a second battery in it and by the push of a button on the battery, you have your own jump pack built in.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/produc ... m/atz7-rs/
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R