I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

BRP starting issues

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: BRP battery

Post by smdub »

juddspaintballs wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm Aye, I found proper battery information. Antigravity RESTART batteries are made in China, but the regular Li-Ion batteries are made in the USA. See post #5 here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/antigrav ... y.1282714/
Ok, he also says "All the Lithium Cells are made in China now for all the companies that do Lithium Batteries..." in post #5. So even 'made in the US' ones are really just assembled from foreign parts. I don't mean to poo on anyone just I'm skeptical when someone says made in the US Li batt. Some of our engineers have been to several plants in china where they crank out prismatic cells. The kid's OSET is currently sporting 42Ah worth of demo cells:) AFAIK, there is no real production of the cells in the US (well, for any small manufacturer.)

Sonny: yes that is the right part number. Yeah its TINY isn't it? I was surprised to learn today that they use it for the bigger bikes too. 2Ah would make we a bit worried too. Our friend w/ the Beta 430RRS left his light on when he stopped halfway up a climb at Hatfield. When he tried to restart it wouldn't light (flooded? as it fell for a while too). We let it sit, unplugged the headlight, and tried cranking once every 5min or so. It eventually started but was getting REALLY slow. No kicker. It had a rekluse so we couldn't just bump start it down the hill either w/o a lot of work. We decided then that one of us should carry a small pair of jumper cables. Seems everyone uses that blue EC5 connector for jump packs so thats what I'll prob install under the seat on pigtails. Heck, just a pair of decent gauge wires w/ stripped ends would have worked in a pinch.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Sounds like it had serious potential of ruining an awesome day of riding with friends. Friend of mine had a similar story of running out of fuel at Hatfield on his KTM 350. The guy he was riding with just took a bad fall and was sore an hour earlier. So he had duty of watching the bike while my buddy did the run for fuel, and worried about running out himself, all turned out ok. Still sounds lucky. I ride with this rear fender bag packed with the micro start, misc tools. The jumper cables are worthless, too big to attach to the small bike Imagebattery, good for everything else though, give someone a jump on side of the road lol. . So I bought the pig tail that attaches to battery to micro start direct if ever. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:09 pm
juddspaintballs wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:47 pm Aye, I found proper battery information. Antigravity RESTART batteries are made in China, but the regular Li-Ion batteries are made in the USA. See post #5 here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/antigrav ... y.1282714/
Ok, he also says "All the Lithium Cells are made in China now for all the companies that do Lithium Batteries..." in post #5. So even 'made in the US' ones are really just assembled from foreign parts. I don't mean to poo on anyone just I'm skeptical when someone says made in the US Li batt. Some of our engineers have been to several plants in china where they crank out prismatic cells. The kid's OSET is currently sporting 42Ah worth of demo cells:) AFAIK, there is no real production of the cells in the US (well, for any small manufacturer.)

Sonny: yes that is the right part number. Yeah its TINY isn't it? I was surprised to learn today that they use it for the bigger bikes too. 2Ah would make we a bit worried too. Our friend w/ the Beta 430RRS left his light on when he stopped halfway up a climb at Hatfield. When he tried to restart it wouldn't light (flooded? as it fell for a while too). We let it sit, unplugged the headlight, and tried cranking once every 5min or so. It eventually started but was getting REALLY slow. No kicker. It had a rekluse so we couldn't just bump start it down the hill either w/o a lot of work. We decided then that one of us should carry a small pair of jumper cables. Seems everyone uses that blue EC5 connector for jump packs so thats what I'll prob install under the seat on pigtails. Heck, just a pair of decent gauge wires w/ stripped ends would have worked in a pinch.
No kickstart and recluse.

Glad none of my bikes have that set up.

Though, Ive shed some sweat bumpstarting my 650...
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

So an Antigravity with the RESTART technology would be useful for those guys with no kickstart and a Rekluse so they don't have to carry a jump pack.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

So I hooked up 12v tractor battery that I had sitting in the garage and promptly blew a fuse :dry:

Finally got things sorted where I could crank it again and ended up that I ordered a new battery-Tusk lithium ion with 150cca and 2 year warranty on sale for $79. While I'm waiting on that I will pull starter, check clean everything and generally trace all the wires and grounds.
Pull and clean carb, same with tank, change oil, etc.

Good inside winter stuff. :thumbup:

BTW-we both carry jump packs and they have worked well in the past (although not often needed). The problem with the BRP is the luggage racks cover the battery, so it's like major surgery to get to the battery.
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Poor ground can make the best battery suck. Check the frame ground. Odds are your starter could use some fresh lube also. Need to keep those things happy
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Valves? As I was pulling everything apart, the valves seemed like a good bet. New battery with same result, very slow to turn over.
So, pulling starter and checking valves. :thumbup:
Bruce
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Bruce, make sure that's the right size battery for the BRP. That's the right size for my KTM 450. I'm sure it will work in the BRP, but there might be a better battery, too.
Ouch, $200 for the 690. I'm willing to give the newer generation li-ion a try and I do like the idea of the restart thing. I'll hit them up on advrider and see what they say about a discount. It seems I killed the stocker over the weekend and walmart doesn't carry the funky size (ytz10s, which is short and squat).
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

How do I get the friggin starter off :shrug:

All bolts are out. I guess it's just laying there? Tight fit? I'm afraid to start whacking or pulling on it too hard.
Bruce
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Laoch wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:05 am How do I get the friggin starter off :shrug:

All bolts are out. I guess it's just laying there? Tight fit? I'm afraid to start whacking or pulling on it too hard.
It is a Honda....hammers is best tool to work on them..bigger the better
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr