I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

MD fees (buying new bike out of state?)

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

MD fees (buying new bike out of state?)

Post by smdub »

Have been thinking about upgrading the KTM 500 (esp if I can sell another bike.) Have called around to check dealer inventory and get pricing. The same dealer in VA who my buddy got his new bike last fall from has the best price. But it's a little hard to compare apples/apples since they can't do MD tax/title/registration. Everyone in MD quotes 'on the road' price including that stuff. I've never bought a new vehicle out of state. The tax part is easy to figure at 6%. So if I navigate the MD MVA website correctly it looks like a title is $100, tag is $10, and 2yr registration is $104? Anyone gone through this recently to know if I'm missing something?
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: MD fees (buying new bike out of state?)

Post by Laoch »

That's funny. Around here most dealers can do PA and MD. I guess because we are on the border. So in this case you buy it sans registration, title only. And then go to MD dmv?

Most important- what you looking at?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Yeah, buying cars in VA we've been able to get them to do the whole MD thing. But they were in NoVa close to the border. The KTM dealer is in Richmond and for the amount of out of state traffic they do probably just isn't worth the hassle. Heck, they are closer to NC than MD.

Upgrade would be a newer 500EXC. The buddy I mentioned above bought a 300XCW right before we went to Hatfield McCoy. I haven't ridden it yet but everyone who has RAVES about it. I rode the 'new to me' '17 150XCW I bought from Bucho's friend at Hatfield. It had serious carb issues that I've mostly ironed out since. But what I like about the 150 most is the feel of the front end. For slower technical riding the Xplor forks just seem to suit me way better. Not as harsh and better feedback so I don't wash out the front end as often. Another buddy who rides w/ us has a '16 500EXC - same generation as mine. He scratched a fork stanchion really bad at Hatfield and is looking into repairing and revalving them or even just buying better forks. So I got to thinking last fall I could do the same if his worked out. But then someone floated the evil idea of just getting a newer bike instead. Well, that planted the seed and its eaten at me all winter. I've sold a couple bikes recently and could put that money back into one. Having friends prodding me into it doesn't help things either;) Been wondering should I upgrade the '12 500EXC or the '17 150XCW (I'm having a lot of fun on it but the new one has efi! I love efi. I hate carbs!) I think I've settled on upgrading the 500EXC if I go through with this. I haven't entirely convinced myself to spend that kind of money and throw it into rocks in the woods yet though :killingme: I haven't bought a new motorcycle since 1995 (my first). Anyone want a ~2500mi 115hr 2012 500EXC?
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Hey Stephen, unsure if Im answering all your questions but this is what I paid for my 2020 husky 501s from west virgina Ridersville
$10,300 for the bike
$286 License/Registration fees
$617 taxes
----------
to be 60 day temp tagged, and wait for Md metal plates to come in the mail
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I hear you. Efi and e-start is the way to go. New bike is tough to scratch, but after you rub the new off it, its all good.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Sonny, good to know! I didn't know yours was a 2020. How is the engine vibration? Me and my buddies 2012-2016 generation are fine. Some other folks have had the 17-19 versions and the vibes were awful. Said even w/ gel inserts his feet went numb from the vibes. I know the 2020 is redesigned again. I don't hear many reports of bad vibes but there aren't many of them out there in the wild yet.
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

I have a 2017 Husky 450fe that you're welcome to try. The vibes aren't bad at all. I did a lot of internet research FWIW after I rode a 2015 500 excf that vibed really badly. It may have been that particular bike, but I read that the 450 is supposedly a lot smoother. Mine is pretty smooth, but not WR250R smooth. I also bought SM wheels/tires from Warp 9 and can't wait for warmer weather to try them out. My plan is to have a dedicated off-road bike (my KTM 300 xc) and a DS that will stay mainly in SM trim for short rides around here and DS trim for forests and stuff like that. I really enjoyed riding around Michaux SF last fall.

John

And I pm'd you about your 150 before I saw this thread.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I just picked up a new 2020 500 EXC-F (6 days) from Ridersville, 10.9. Husky is a great choice as well, but I really like PDS rear suspension and the brembo's.
I walked into MVA same day I picked it up and paid 863.94 for title, taxes and registration for 2 years. Insurance was only 170 a year for full coverage, but I do get a multi bike discount.

Harold doesn't have any "plain" 2020 500 EXC-F's right now, he did have the Husky 501 and he had a couple KTM 350's EXC-F's.

The new 500's are pretty smooth, much smoother than my 525 was. Nice bikes and very well put togehter. If you are gonna do dual sports and some single track, the 500 will do just fine. If i know I am going to ride real knarly ST, then yeah the 300 XCW or TM250 will be the choice. But if I go back to Michigan or Colorado, I might just take the 500 and the 300 as the back up bike, as the 500 will be a hoot in the open stuff or for doing dual sport rides.

I really enjoyed my 07 525 I had, so I bet I will really dig on the new one.

https://www.ridersvillecycle.com/invent ... -10382893i

It says 11,499 on the website but he will probably sell it for 10,300 like Sonny got.
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Yeah, I called Ridersville this morning. Didn't know about them until Sonny's post. They are out of 500EXCs.:cry: Owner Harold said they were sold out for the year though that seems crazy to me. Yes, they still have and quoted the FE501S (10.3) and the 6days (11.1) models.
Thanks for your tax/fee info.
MotoRichmind still has 500EXCs but it's 10.3 + a $200 fee = 10.5. Ridersville surely would have been a better deal. Still beats any quote I've gotten in MD by a long shot. It's only money right?

I know the Husky gets machined triple clamps, linkage rear, Magura vs Brembo, shorter rear subframe, and about 2.8kg heavier. What is the difference in your 6D model? The KTM website is beyond terrible for figuring this stuff out.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

The 6 days comes with some extra stuff, front axle pull, billet triple clamps, rear brake snake, 6D graphics (big whoop), solid rear disk and a few other things, mostly same parts with 6 Days logo on them (exhaust can, rims, handlebars). I wanted a regular one but he is out, so he had the 6Day and he always quotes me a price less than the "regular" version you get at any other dealer for the 6 days. Same deal when I bought my 18 300XCW, it was less than a regular XCW at all other KTM shops, so I went for it. I have bought quite a few bikes over the last 15 years from Harold, so he always does me right.

Nice bike, motor feels strong. Will put a tuner and a rekluse on it and already did the end cap. Husky is the same motor, just with link and Magura stuff.
Lots of cool bikes---