I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Post by Laoch »

Let's see how much interest there is in "local" DS rides. Local is how you want to define it. Not local would be like the KAT. So, day trips or weekends in PA, MD, etc.
We also have the MABDR to consider.
I have a campsite in Michaux which works well for that area.
FYI Denny Mann leads rides in south PA state forests, usually Thursday evenings and the occasional weekend. He has thread on Adv Flugistan forum.

My thoughts are this- the second half of April for a ride. 18th or 25th. The 18th we could camp at Jim's and ride that area. Or stay local.

May- I plan on going to the reunion and DS on Saturday along with some of the milder trails. Also, Jim has his thing the first and last weekend of May. Or stay local.

June-tbd.

Let me know what y'all think.
The idea is to ride more, post less
Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: 2020 dual sport rides. Local.

Post by Firebolter »

Jed Hargrave, Jeff Nelson, Chris B and myself all planned and documented a sweet 2 day Dual Sport ride back in 2012 we were thinking about doing as a sponsored event. It has some pavement in it, but all back roads. Day 1 Starts in Thurmont MD and goes up into PA through Michaux and Tuscarora Forest and ends Day 1 at Rocky Gap ~220 miles. We planned to stay at Rocky Gap and eat, drink and rest up.

Day 2 is lesser miles and more back roads back to Frederick. Check it out, all done, turn by turn and mileage documented.
Attached.
Attachments
Advr Tour 020612.pdf
(72.25 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Last edited by Firebolter on Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Nice. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bruce
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

This would be KLR, WR250, TT230 etc. friendly ride, so you could really have a mix of dual sport riders and ability levels on this one. There is some fun stuff mixed in, but alot of back road all skill level stuff.
Lots of cool bikes---
beejaytee
aka Heather

Post by beejaytee »

I’m definitely interested in all this.
2012 Ktm 500xcw
I work hard but live better.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I'd like to get the 1090 off of the pavement more.

FWIW, Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area across the street from me still has the gates open. Gates open means they are legal roads. I've ridden some parts of them, but last time I was there my buddy didn't want to take his Tiger 800 that far into the gnarly stuff with his luggage on.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

juddspaintballs wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:39 pm I'd like to get the 1090 off of the pavement more.

FWIW, Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area across the street from me still has the gates open. Gates open means they are legal roads. I've ridden some parts of them, but last time I was there my buddy didn't want to take his Tiger 800 that far into the gnarly stuff with his luggage on.
When weather gets a little warmer I'd be interested Jed.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Firebolter wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:25 pm Jed Hargrave, Jeff Nelson, Chris B and myself all planned and documented a sweet 2 day Dual Sport ride back in 2012 we were thinking about doing as a sponsored event. It has some pavement in it, but all back roads. Day 1 Starts in Thurmont MD and goes up into PA through Michaux and Tuscarora Forest and ends Day 1 at Rocky Gap ~220 miles. We planned to stay at Rocky Gap and eat, drink and rest up.

Day 2 is lesser miles and more back roads back to Frederick. Check it out, all done, turn by turn and mileage documented.
Attached.
Looks like a nice route. Been a while, but I think I've been on most of those roads before.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I'm almost always up for an ADV style ride.

I'm loving the premise of this thread Bruce and though I might be hit or miss this year with family travel and whatnot, I'm in for some MABDR and/or NEBDR action. I have more than one friend who are just waiting for me to say when I'm ready to lead a ride like that.

Do you guys often camp or are you more hot shower, comfy bed types?
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Bucho wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:14 pm
juddspaintballs wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:39 pm I'd like to get the 1090 off of the pavement more.

When weather gets a little warmer I'd be interested Jed.

There's the rub. The gates are only open for hunting seasons. They usually close after spring bear.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R