I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New Member Intro

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Capt Scoots
DAMN n00b

New Member Intro

Post by Capt Scoots »

Hi, a relatively new member, I joined about a month ago and just looked through this section. I have a 1090 ADV R that I bought about a year ago. I've been riding a long time, starting in the dirt as a kid. I raced MX for several years, this in the days of about an inch of rear travel and 2 or 3 up front. All self-funded from mowing lawns, pulling weeds for neighbors, working on local farms, and blowing out driveways in the Winter. We had lots of snow and I don't miss it. I've owned multiple bikes since I was 11.

I bought the 1090 with the dream of riding to AK, but have since changed my mind and may ride a different bike for that bucket list trip. Last year I discovered the Adv Rider forums and through one of their posts the DAMN Riders. It took most of last Summer to put together camping gear and decide on the luggage for the bike. I went back and forth b/w hard bags and soft, but in the end, I went with Mosko Moto.

I did a ride last Sept in NJ, a BMW club puts on a ride each Fall, so I rode up and camped and did their Adv ride the following day. It was a spur of the moment ride and I'm so glad I went. It was the first time to get off-road with the 1090. It was a lot of fun but all flat, lots of muddy sand. I met a bunch of nice Jersey folks and had a great time. I met a fellow from NJ on a 1200 GS and we exchanged contact info and stayed in touch.

We ended up doing a ride in The Wilds of PA at the beginning of Nov. We met at a campground on a Friday afternoon. It was a cold weekend but we had a blast riding in mostly dirt, a mix of dirt roads, FS roads, and double track. We basically left the campground and roamed, neither of us knew much about the area. The campground was nice, we were about the only ones there, and the bathhouse had just been remodeled with new everything including heat. It made the 20-degree mornings more doable, and the sparkling clean new showers were a bonus.

I started signing up for several rides this year, and then COVID happened. The Stolen Pig Rally was the first to get moved to the Fall. Although the weather ended up being bad anyway, that would have been a long, cold, wet, ride just to get there and back. A couple of others became non-starters and just faded away. I'm hoping to do the MABDR, South to North at the end of June, but we'll see.

I have yet to participate in any of your rides, mostly due to the present circumstances. I'm looking forward to doing some of the DAMN rides and meeting some of you DAMN riders.

:cheers:,
Roger
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Re: New Member Intro

Post by Rut Row »

:welcome:

you found the right place! :thumbup:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

You should come to the BaldEagle ride next week.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Welcome! What a fantastic intro!

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200