I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

WTB: Yamaha TTR125LE (big-wheel, e-start)

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

WTB: Yamaha TTR125LE (big-wheel, e-start)

Post by smdub »

Looking for a 'big wheel' 125cc bike for the wife to learn to ride w/ a clutch. Something w/ e-start is a must as she's had trouble kick starting a friend's XR100(120 BBK) before when she got tired. My small coworker who we're teaching to ride is having trouble kicking an XR100 too. I'd really prefer the TTR LE as it has a front disc. I'll prefer that when I'm honing it w/ friends :thumbup:

Thanks!
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: WTB: Yamaha TTR125LE (big-wheel, e-start)

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:32 pm Looking for a 'big wheel' 125cc bike for the wife to learn to ride w/ a clutch. Something w/ e-start is a must as she's had trouble kick starting a friend's XR100(120 BBK) before when she got tired. My small coworker who we're teaching to ride is having trouble kicking an XR100 too. I'd really prefer the TTR LE as it has a front disc. I'll prefer that when I'm honing it w/ friends :thumbup:

Thanks!
Hi Stephen, I still have my wife's Kawasaki KLX140L. Basically the same as the Yamaha (arguably a tiny bit better?)

I don't think I'm ready to sell, but I'd happily let you borrow it for a bit. Seriously, your wife can dump it. Not a big deal.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Huge thanks for the generous offer but I may have found one.

I wasn't aware of the 140L. More cc and dual discs beat the TTR for sure. Looks to be only 10# heavier which isn't bad. It's a tough pill going from a 160# XR100 to a 200# TTR125LE just to get electric statrt. :shrug: All the 150s seemed to be much heavier yet again.

A friend and I are thinking of taking my wife, kid, and a little female coworker who is wanting to learn to ride out to Tomahawk MX next weekend. We should have enough bikes to whore out to the newbs. I don't really know of any places that have woods loops like that that are beginner friendly. They won't do the big MX track but there are lots of places for them to get the hang of woods riding.

I have to admit the 125cc is a bit appealing my buddies have a XR100 and an XR120(BBK on a 100). Another would be give us enough to do some supermini racing at his farm:) So my wants are a little more selfish than just looking out for the wife :lol2: Trying not to start an arms (displacement) race.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

smdub wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 pm Huge thanks for the generous offer but I may have found one.

Okay, if things don't work out or you want to borrow an extra bike let me know.

Its fun to have an extra small/easy to ride type bike. I've had some work friends out to that property to shoot. I always stay after to ride. Two of my coworkers have a bit of street bike experience. They have enjoyed riding the little KLX.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

I did find one. '03 LE. I probably paid a little too much for it in non-running condition but its hard to haggle w/ a sincere sounding 15yo who had his mom waiting quietly in the car to count the money.

Took it to the office yesterday to work on it (more on that in a moment.) It really didn't need much more other than a good carb cleaning. A *LOT* of gunk came out of the carb inlet fitting when I back flushed the bowl needle hole.
20200523_gunk_in_carb_r640.jpg
So after putting it all back together it fired up fairly quickly on the e-start (the battery looks new and works great.) Its missing a couple of small bits here and there that I've ordered. The tires are dated '03 so probably original and it never saw much use. They are dry rotted so I've got tires & tubes on order too. Anyway, it was enough to run around the back lot and declare success. Its quite a bit peppier than the XR100.
20200523_111037_r640.jpg
So that gets me back to why I went to the office to work on it. Was teaching a coworker about rebuilding the carb and getting the bike running. He was one of 3 guys that took the MSF course last fall and passed (two of the 3 have bought bikes.) We also have a new coworker that joined us shortly before this covid mess and she has expressed interest in riding motorcycles. She's ridden the SurRon and XR once and has now signed up for the MSF course. She came in and we taught her to ride the XR. Start/stop clutch drills, shifting, etc. She learned really fast and did well enough she even drove around on his Virago 500(?) some. Like the other three, we'll run her though all the MSF drills so she'll be a shoe-in by the time her class comes around. :cheers: Now trying to find a short sporty looking bike for her (I'm trying to find a Buell Blast who's owner isn't a flake.)

Anyway, now that she is getting the hang of a clutch, we'll take her and some other newbs somewhere to ride easy dirt (Tomahawk MX or my buddies farm in VA.) Hopefully she and my wife will ride some together.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Cool. My wife used to have a TTR125L back before kids when she used to ride. Was a cool little bike. We even got it street legal. Was my favorite ride to go into town and park in the bike rack.

Good on you for helping some new people get started in bikes.

Next time please get a pic of your friends Virago 500. An 83 was my first bike back in college.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Yeah, the TTR actually came w/ a MD title so it could easily be put on the road w/ a light kit :lol2: Probably no crazier/worse than riding a Grom.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

smdub wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:12 pm I did find one. '03 LE. I probably paid a little too much for it in non-running condition but its hard to haggle w/ a sincere sounding 15yo who had his mom waiting quietly in the car to count the money.

Took it to the office yesterday to work on it (more on that in a moment.) It really didn't need much more other than a good carb cleaning. A *LOT* of gunk came out of the carb inlet fitting when I back flushed the bowl needle hole.
20200523_gunk_in_carb_r640.jpg

So after putting it all back together it fired up fairly quickly on the e-start (the battery looks new and works great.) Its missing a couple of small bits here and there that I've ordered. The tires are dated '03 so probably original and it never saw much use. They are dry rotted so I've got tires & tubes on order too. Anyway, it was enough to run around the back lot and declare success. Its quite a bit peppier than the XR100.
20200523_111037_r640.jpg

So that gets me back to why I went to the office to work on it. Was teaching a coworker about rebuilding the carb and getting the bike running. He was one of 3 guys that took the MSF course last fall and passed (two of the 3 have bought bikes.) We also have a new coworker that joined us shortly before this covid mess and she has expressed interest in riding motorcycles. She's ridden the SurRon and XR once and has now signed up for the MSF course. She came in and we taught her to ride the XR. Start/stop clutch drills, shifting, etc. She learned really fast and did well enough she even drove around on his Virago 500(?) some. Like the other three, we'll run her though all the MSF drills so she'll be a shoe-in by the time her class comes around. :cheers: Now trying to find a short sporty looking bike for her (I'm trying to find a Buell Blast who's owner isn't a flake.)

Anyway, now that she is getting the hang of a clutch, we'll take her and some other newbs somewhere to ride easy dirt (Tomahawk MX or my buddies farm in VA.) Hopefully she and my wife will ride some together.

Any of the recent 300cc sport bikes would work.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

juddspaintballs wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:15 pm Any of the recent 300cc sport bikes would work.
Not really. One of the new rider coworkers has a CB300F. She can barely put the tips of her toes down. She's gone and sat on that whole crop of sporty/sportbikes at Ellicott City Motorsports recently. The Ninja 400 is a little better than the rest. We can lower any of them w/ some $ and she can use thick boots (which are surprisingly expnsive as only the high-end name brands seem to make them.) She's 5'4" and women typ have shorter legs then men. The other issue is weight. She can lever the XR100 off the ground. She couldn't budge the KTM We're a bit concerned that the high-up weight of a sport bike will lead to dropping it. She has even commented how hard it is to get some bikes up off their kickstand. A little cruiser would suit her but she's not into the looks.

FWIW, an old Blast is a full 3" lower than any of those others even w/ the stock seat ( there is an optional low seat avail.) Weight is about the same as the 300cc bikes and it carries it very low. Plus they are only $1-2k. Would be a good first beater bike. She doesn't mind the look.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

I had a Buell Blast for my wife when she thought maybe she wanted to get into street riding.
It wasnt nearly as terrible as everyone said they were. I put a couple hundred miles on it in the 2 years we had it.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200