I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KTM Supermoto wheels kit

Buy, sell, trade... or just give away the DAMN thing! :deal:
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: KTM Supermoto wheels kit

Post by Wingfixer »

juddspaintballs wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:29 am I know KLRs have it. I would have thought DRZs did. I can't imagine a DR-650 not having it.
Junior's DR no longer has one. He made a solid hub 18" wheel for his. He had a few cush drive failures at inopportune times/ places.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

My Honda XRL650 dosen't have one.
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Wingfixer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:09 am Junior's DR no longer has one. He made a solid hub 18" wheel for his. He had a few cush drive failures at inopportune times/ places.
Huh, what actually fails? All of them that I've had were great big chunks of rubber so I wouldn't expect the rubber pieces to fail. Did the metal plates between the rubber dampers break?
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Marylander wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:47 pm
Wingfixer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:09 am Junior's DR no longer has one. He made a solid hub 18" wheel for his. He had a few cush drive failures at inopportune times/ places.
Huh, what actually fails? All of them that I've had were great big chunks of rubber so I wouldn't expect the rubber pieces to fail. Did the metal plates between the rubber dampers break?
I believe it was the rubber blocks that failed. It's been a while ago. Maybe Junior will fill in my memory.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

Sold.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

Yeah, I did a little googling for curiosity and it seems the rubber cush dampers can become compressed, worn, or dried up over time. Maybe this is a function of age more than mileage as I've had several bikes over 60k miles and never had an issue with the rubbers. That's about where I've gotten bored with a bike so I'll get rid of it after 4-5 years, maybe not long enough to have them worn out.

Congrats on getting rid of the wheels Jed. This reminds me that I want to put a smaller front sprocket on the 690 as I softened it up too much in going to a big one... I haven't ridden a proper dirt bike turned into a supermoto though. The 690 weighs a bunch more.
juddspaintballs
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by juddspaintballs »

I've replaced the cush rubbers on a couple bikes. They're usually not that expensive and quite easy to replace.
Jed Gregory
1090 Adventure R
davej
DAMN Expert

Post by davej »

Skinny-J wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:13 pm My Honda XRL650 dosen't have one.
Honda rally bikes don't either but ktms do :think:

you can fit the dr250/350 cush wheel onto the ktm bikes with minor fiddling if you are a cheapskate like me. I'm running one of these on my 300 with a trials tire for no apparent reason
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Yeah, they are typ pretty cheap to replace. I also agree they just seem to get old w/ age (as all rubber parts do.)

An interesting point is that the Beta Rev3 trials bikes have the dampers in the clutch basket. I know some KTM enduros (like the 500EXC) have similar since at least the 2012-ish generation. Cars all have something similar like a spring-centered clutch (or dual-mass flywheel) to minimize transmission noise via reducing cylinder firing shock loads into the gearbox.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee