I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tour Of Idaho

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Re: Tour Of Idaho

Post by phoo »

"I had kicked it around with one group go north and ride south and one south to north." That's actually a really cool idea! With a day somewhere in the middle where everyone from both groups got together and swapped stories and lies and warned about any obstacles ahead for the other team.

The one person rotation for moving the truck seems like a pretty good idea, too. I know with six days of riding, I wouldn't mind having a day off in there somewhere, but I also know that no matter what happened with the riders, I'd be jealous of their adventure, even if over two hours of the day was spent pulling someone's bike uphill with the chain wedged into the swingarm. Not that that would ever happen, *cough*.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

phoo wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm I'd be jealous of their adventure, even if over two hours of the day was spent pulling someone's bike uphill with the chain wedged into the swingarm. Not that that would ever happen, *cough*.

~Patrick
That was a great day wasn't it?
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Post by Wingfixer »

Bucho wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:08 pm
phoo wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:36 pm I'd be jealous of their adventure, even if over two hours of the day was spent pulling someone's bike uphill with the chain wedged into the swingarm. Not that that would ever happen, *cough*.

~Patrick
Yeah......
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Wingfixer wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:26 am
Bucho wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:08 pm

~Patrick
Yeah......
It makes for a *great* story!

That reminds me. I need to make sure I remember my LifeStraw on the KAT.

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

oh shit, that bad? I have a lifestraw and SteriPen. Should I pack one?

I've not had wet feet problems riding - haven't done it enough yet obviouslly. But any waterproof clothing, even one that breathes like Goretex, you will still get wet from your own sweat. For moisture to move across the barrier, there must be a differential pressure. If its raining outside (or near 100% humidity) and you are hiking/sweating, you will still be soaked even in a goretex coat. Its not its fault. So if you have wet boots and you are sweating, your feet will be wet w/ goretex socks.

Edit: BTW, what are we doing for food on the KAT? I'm guessing w/ hotels we can do breakfast/dinner at take-out joints. What about lunch? Do I need to pack PB & nutella w/ some bagels for lunch carbs/protein? Or do we stop for gas regularly enough we can grab lunch there. (Of course I'll bring plenty of snacks for during the ride.) Sorry, Since I'm the newb I don't know what the routine was last time.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

smdub wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:31 am What about lunch? Do I need to pack PB & nutella w/ some bagels for lunch carbs/protein? Or do we stop for gas regularly enough we can grab lunch there. (Of course I'll bring plenty of snacks for during the ride.) Sorry, Since I'm the newb I don't know what the routine was last time.
I am bringing power bars and some small packs of nuts and trail mix stuff. I usually don't eat much while I am riding anyway. Power bars, nuts and trail mix works well for me. That way if we don't end up close to food mid day, we have it with us. If there is a subway at the end of the day, I may buy a small sandwich for the following day. Don't put any condiments on it! They hold up much better in your pack if there is no condiments to make the bread all squishy!
Lots of cool bikes---
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

smdub wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:31 am oh shit, that bad? I have a lifestraw and SteriPen. Should I pack one?
This was a very different scenario than on the KAT, and nobody almost died, but I definitely did run out of water and look longingly at a small stream that was flowing down the mountain and desperately wanted to drink some of it but modern hysteria has trained me to fear drinking from streams that I would have drank from gleefully as a kid.

So, no, it's not necessary, but if I don't have mine, I'm guaranteed to have a moment where I wish I did. :-D

For food, as Firebolter said, bring snacks for on the trail. If we're going to end up having to eat lunch on the trail, we'll know in the morning and prepare adequately. Remember we are in hotels every night. ...Btw, everyone's made their reservations and/or found their hotel buddy, right? :)

~Patrick
1975 Harley FXE1200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

I don't do well skipping meals :eats: Body is trained to eat at noon every day.

I have hotels but no buddy. My coworker who thought he'd come has predictably dropped out. If anyone still needs someone to cuddle w/ at night, let me know. No one that snores (I don't). No preference to big or little spoon. :lol2:

Edit: oops, will go post the 2nd part of that in the KAT thread.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Btw, everyone's made their reservations and/or found their hotel buddy, right? :)
~Patrick
I have mine all made at the same places SJ posted. Robert is sharing a room with me.
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I can drive, and ride a little :deal:
44 hours, wow.
Bruce