I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Good bags for off roading

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Good bags for off roading

Post by Firebolter »

One thing I noticed this week was all of the different kinds of bags each of us used. The KAT tested luggage toughness for sure. It was rocky so the bags are under a constant load bouncing around and such.

I had GiantLoop Mojave bags and the tail bag and they worked well, but you have to make sure you cinch them down really good to keep the hooks on the fender from slipping. Happened to me on the first day, I cinched up hard and they held the rest of the week. My tail top bag bounced some, but that can be addressed with a velcro strap around the fender. Over all, good bags, stay on well and are rugged. My wolfman enduro tank bag was solid and works well on the enduro bikes. I also strapped a MSR bottle holder for some emergency gas.

John had Enduristan bags and they worked really well. I like how they are constructed and they attached really nicely as well. They have a couple different sizes and nice attach points for additional bags and stuff you could lash up to.
http://enduristan.com/

Robert used Givi bags and they worked good, but they bounced around alot. He can give you his opinion.

Steven used Wolf Man bags and they were solid. His stuff was on nicely and didn't bounce around.

others used hard racks with various tail bags, back packs and such strapped to the rack. That option works well and gives you more flexibility to mount/attach most any kind of bag or item.

What ever option you go with, make sure you tie stuff down really good as when you think it is good, it can always be a little better! For me, if I were to do it again for bags NOT NEEDING A RACK, Enduristan gets the nod with GIANTLoop and WOLFMAN tied for second. All good options no matter which way you go.
Lots of cool bikes---
windyhill
DAMN Expert

Re: Good bags for off roading

Post by windyhill »

The Enduristan bags held up pretty well, even after a few crashes. The front straps are a little worn, I think from my boots rubbing. Cleaned up and ready to go again!

trialsrider
DAMN Expert

Post by trialsrider »

windyhill wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:23 pm The Enduristan bags held up pretty well, even after a few crashes. The front straps are a little worn, I think from my boots rubbing. Cleaned up and ready to go again!

Nice Rug. I like it!
2019 Husqvarna TE250i
2014 KTM 350 XCF-W Six Days
2012 GASGAS 280 TXT Racing
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

I'm a big fan of Wolfman bags. They're made in America and are really well constructed. Mine have seen many dirt naps with no sign of damage or even wear on them. Many thousands of ADV type riding and they always go on my bikes when there's some off-road riding on the itinerary.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

I was happy with the Rigg Gear bag that I had, which I got after someone had them on the KAT last time, and I've liked them for commuting. I did augment them with a small hand-carry luggage bag that I bungeed to my seat using the four D-rings that are attached to the top straps of the Rigg Gear. I also didn't actually expand the bags even though they could have been. They seemed to stay in place pretty well, and carried more than enough stuff.

http://www.salazar-racing.com/users/Ste ... 071637.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't get to do the whole trip, but they served me well for everything I did do.

Thanks,

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I currently use Mosko Moto R10 bags. I like better than comparable stuff. I do have and have used the Riggs, too many straps and d rings.
I like to modularity and extra beaver tail. Waterproof internal bags that are removable.

https://moskomoto.com/collections/rackless-systems
https://advrider.com/f/threads/mosko-mo ... rt.927215/
Bruce
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Twist wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:06 am I'm a big fan of Wolfman bags. They're made in America
Not made in USA any more:(
Still seems like good stuff though. I did a ton of research before recently buying their new E-base and rolie bags recently. They are easy on/off and have taken several good wrecks and still look new.

FWIW, I was using the 5.11 "tactical" water bottle carriers. They are slightly larger in diameter and can take my 1.5L fuel bottle or a standard size Nalgene. Most of the moto-brand-names are slightly too skinny to fit those. They mount via molle but were easy to strap to the D-rings. They are cheaper than other solutions to boot.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
repoe3
DAMN n00b

Post by repoe3 »

Bags I used were the Givi Gravel Bags:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/giv ... ?rrec=true

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/giv ... q6EALw_wcB

Knowing what I know now, the Enduristan or Giant Loop would be preferred. Smaller profiles and looked stable on the bikes.

All in all they made it, but the right side frame strap melted and sheared off early on. A heat shield wouldn't have helped as it was the bit of midpipe and/or inlet side of the exhaust. So it was flopping around quite a bit after that. They held up to plenty of get-offs and kept things dry. Their size allowed for me to overpack as well.
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

smdub wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:58 am
Twist wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:06 am I'm a big fan of Wolfman bags. They're made in America
Not made in USA any more:(
Wow, I see that they've made a subtle change on their web site to say that they are "Designed and Tested in the USA"

I wonder where they're made and if that move had anything to do with them going 100% waterproof RF welded construction on all their bags?

I've crashed chit out of the Expedition and Rocky Mtn bags including dumping them into a creek crossing in Tennessee on the TAT and never damaged them or had any weather get inside.

Never let it be said that I'm not willing to put my foolish antics on display for other's enjoyment:

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Twist wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:53 am if that move had anything to do with them going 100% waterproof RF welded construction on all their bags?
Yes. IIRC, Hes stated in his ADVRider thread that there are only 2(?) companies in the US that do the welding he needed. One is a competitor and the other doesn't make bags or something. They had to go offshore.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee