I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New AMA rule against helmet cams

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
Wingfixer
aka FlatFixer

Re: New AMA rule against helmet cams

Post by Wingfixer »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:19 am Just less footage being posted for the greenies to use against off road events.
Yup, this.
I've noticed a few rides (Hammer Run just to name one) that forbid helmet cams already.
F*** work.
Ride motorcycles.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Twist wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:02 am Or is it not related to injury risk and it's something else - like video evidence of your ride?
Like WF said, at Hammer they specifically tell you NO GO PRO's or camera's allowed. There was another event too in Pa, but I can't remember which one. It is for that exact reason, anti folks get the video's and use them to try and shut down access. Now at a MX track, seems a little silly to me, but off road courses where they use public lands, thats the rub.
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Boom Boom wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:19 am Just less footage being posted for the greenies to use against off road events.
Makes sense to me. I wonder if a few well placed trail cameras wouldn't show that hunters on ATVs do their share of damage as well.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

The argument that cameras help the greenies oppose racing is pretty weak. In that theory, we give up the videos we love and the greenies still hate every dirt bike in the woods. And they still have the tracks from 400 bikes to take pictures of themselves. You can't hide the tracks so its little use to try and hide the videos. Its pissing in the wind and giving up something to gain nothing. Guess what, if every camera in the world vanished tomorrow the greenies would STILL want every bike banned from the woods. Who are we kidding?!?!?

In the IPSC shooting sports, they wanted to make the targets look less human shaped thinking it would help the public image. But again, the people who hate guns totally hate everything about them. Its the targets, the guns, the noise, the danger. Everything. The antigunners won't give up until every gun is gone.

The greenies won't give up until every bike is gone. It's futile to try and appease them. Better to not give an inch and just fight back. Be just as relentless.

I heard the main reason the AMA went P.C. nuts was injuries such as indy racing Michael Schumacher who had an injury with helmet and gopro attached while skiing. SORRY, but F-him. Skiing is inherently dangerous. Ask Sonny Bono.

Dirt Bikes are even more dangerous. A helmet camera is soooooooo little risk compared to everything else we do, that its a horrible joke to pretend it needs AMA intervention. Like mandating a box of tissues in your racing truck to address coronavirus concerns.
2016 PitsterPro LXR-250f (Chinesium-KTM)
2001 Honda XR 200
History.... 1997 KDX 220, 1977 Ossa Phantom GPIII
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

Jeebus. Somebody has a hard on for cameras.

It's a private organization, they make the rules. They also have insure requirements.
Don't be a member, don't ride their races.
Simple.
Bruce
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Re: Foggy mtn Funduro 20 June

Post by BamBam »

Do we know if they allow gopro Cameras? Trying to only ride events that allow Cameras to support common sense and reason....
2001 Honda XR 200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I know alot of people hate the "No Go Pro" rule, but I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. Anti-fun people take these video's when they are posted and use them against us. We all want to post the video of the gnarly hill climb or the big ass mud puddle etc. then anti folks see the ruts and carnage around these kinds of obstacles and use our own videos to help shut us down.

See if people would video and not post, it would be cool but we all love to post videos, I am guilty.

There are people out there watching us and using anything and everything they can to shut us down. Look at what is going on in Utah right now with Moab. You think anti people don't look at this board and others like it? Have you seen how many views some of these ride posts get? over 10K views, you really think that is all "riders", nope. Hell the DAMN ADV ride thread has almost 14 thousands views! Seriously!

In the words of Charlton Heston, "you have to pry my dirtbike from my cold dead hands"
Lots of cool bikes---
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

It would be one thing if our videos were the only evidence that a bike had passed through the area, but it's not. Every anti-biker can walk the course the next day and take their own videos. The ruts from 500 bikes passing through don't magically disappear if we give up our gopro videos. It's not like we give up gopro videos and the anti-bikers go away and agree to never bother us again.

Nope.

We give up our gopro videos and it doesn't change a thing. Other than we lose the home movies and memories we love, and for NOTHING in return. Anti-bikers hate us just as much. The land is torn up exactly the same way. And anyone and everyone else can still take photos and movies.

Everyone but us. And that's just dumb.
2001 Honda XR 200
BamBam
DAMN Expert

Post by BamBam »

AMA rules would allow a gopro just not on the helmet (another dopey rule and knee jerk reaction that really does nothing to protect anyone)

DVT answered and said no cameras at all. Which is their Schtick and their right. I just hopes it eventually affects attendance because it sure as sh1t isn't going to stop the anti-bike wackos. Not one bit.

The environmentalists are forever our enemy. And they never blink, they never give a single inch. You give in on cameras now and next the tree huggers will be coming for 2 stroke smokers... and then what? At some point you may ONLY have old home movies left! So keep filming, we've got nothing to be ashamed of... 😀
2001 Honda XR 200
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

BamBam wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:38 pm AMA rules would allow a gopro just not on the helmet (another dopey rule and knee jerk reaction that really does nothing to protect anyone)

DVT answered and said no cameras at all. Which is their Schtick and their right. I just hopes it eventually affects attendance because it sure as sh1t isn't going to stop the anti-bike wackos. Not one bit.

The environmentalists are forever our enemy. And they never blink, they never give a single inch. You give in on cameras now and next the tree huggers will be coming for 2 stroke smokers... and then what? At some point you may ONLY have old home movies left! So keep filming, we've got nothing to be ashamed of... 😀
Before anyone tosses a bitch about event rules they should get involved with a club and do the leg work it takes to host an event.
I could care less about GoPro or not....same with GPS tracks. The rules would not exist if some did not push the limits. The issue is not with riders not showing up to events....look at the record fast sell outs on events. The issue is to get people to step up and work an event...land availability is a fine dance to keep events happening. Clubs are down on members to perform the work but people to show up and enjoy the efforts of others is never an issue.
For anyone that has ridden behind a mega bomb 4 stroke making enough noise for all bikes you will soon see we do plenty of damage ourselves. If the public can not hear you things just go better but when you know exactly where a bike is at from thousands of feet away you can understand why the public is just anti cycle. I have done a few work days closing trail damage after an enduro and every year we have the best rut digging tires known to man cutting trenches thru mother nature. Personally I am amazed at the amount of events that still happen. If you personally can not go help a club host an event then dig in your pocket and send them some love $$$.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr