I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

New Member Intro

Announcements about the board plus help for the n00bs. New members -- say howdy here! :hi5:
Plus how to register for the board
AlbinoPig
DAMN n00b

New Member Intro

Post by AlbinoPig »

Hello from Baltimore,

My name is Daniel and not only am I new to the forum, I'm also fairly new to riding and have been exploring on an XR650L for the past year and a half. So far I have enjoyed Bald Eagle, Wharton, Shenandoah, Michaux, Green Ridge, AOAA, and Wicomico with intentions to attend as many of the regional dual sport club rides as I can this year. Next on my list of places to roam are FRO and Wolf Den Run.

Truly had no idea what I was getting into when I started and have since been embracing all the other aspects that come with the hobby like camping, mapping, and wrenching. Plus all the folks I’ve met from the community have been supportive and welcoming. Looking forward to more.

I’m fortunate to have a good group of local folks to ride with, but I joined to stay abreast with what’s happening and maybe get in on some rides or help out somehow. Thanks for having me.
Daniel
Honda XR650L
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Re: New Member Intro

Post by Bucho »

Greetings new guy!
XR650L is a great dualsport/light weight adventure tourer.
If you go thru our Rides section, a few guys are planning a overnight dualsport/adv ride for the spring.

I recently bought a new (used) dualsport and Im hoping to do more dualsporting this year. Most of the time I ride smaller offroad bikes.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
AlbinoPig
DAMN n00b

Post by AlbinoPig »

Appreciate that, Bucho. Yeah, a smaller trail bike is definitely on my radar now that I am hooked, but I’m not certain what other bike would be right for me (I am 6 foot 3 and weight about 215). Open to suggestions.
Daniel
Honda XR650L
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

I think those tall XR650l was designed for a 6'3" rider! My inseam must be shrinking unless my gonads are growing? :screwy: Welcome to the tribe! Sounds like you already have done quite a bit for a newb.
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

AlbinoPig wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:06 am Appreciate that, Bucho. Yeah, a smaller trail bike is definitely on my radar now that I am hooked, but I’m not certain what other bike would be right for me (I am 6 foot 3 and weight about 215). Open to suggestions.

It really depends on what you want to do. “Riding offroad” means different things to different people. Come out to some of our rides. The DAMN Reunion in the spring would be a good one. Good chance some of the guys would let you ride their bikes a little. Any of the “Grandville/Barton” rides would be good ones to go to
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
AlbinoPig
DAMN n00b

Post by AlbinoPig »

Thanks, Bork. That's why I gravitated to the Big Red Pig. I am thinking my second may end up being a crf450x or wr450f, but I'm not in any hurry and my XR is still a work-in-progress. As you can see in the photo below it has received plenty of mods.

I've put about 6,300 mostly hard miles on her and just recently did all the wheel bearings myself, which was humbling. Getting ready to service the suspension next. I've got room for more in the garage, so I'm not planning on parting ways with the 650 anytime soon. In fact, I love it so much I made this screen print tribute poster for the garage. I've got a few left if anyone is interested.

Daniel
Honda XR650L
AlbinoPig
DAMN n00b

Post by AlbinoPig »

Bucho wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:34 am
AlbinoPig wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:06 am Appreciate that, Bucho. Yeah, a smaller trail bike is definitely on my radar now that I am hooked, but I’m not certain what other bike would be right for me (I am 6 foot 3 and weight about 215). Open to suggestions.

It really depends on what you want to do. “Riding offroad” means different things to different people. Come out to some of our rides. The DAMN Reunion in the spring would be a good one. Good chance some of the guys would let you ride their bikes a little. Any of the “Grandville/Barton” rides would be good ones to go to
Good to know, Bucho. I like it all - especially single track. Going on long moto camping trips loaded down with gear is also a blast, but fortunately I have a truck and do not mind trailering it out to riding spots. I'll keep an eye on those upcoming rides.

Y'all are gonna have to forgive me while I get used to forum workflow.
Daniel
Honda XR650L
Bork
DAMN Poohba

Post by Bork »

AlbinoPig wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:35 am Thanks, Bork. That's why I gravitated to the Big Red Pig. I am thinking my second may end up being a crf450x or wr450f, but I'm not in any hurry and my XR is still a work-in-progress. As you can see in the photo below it has received plenty of mods.

I've put about 6,300 mostly hard miles on her and just recently did all the wheel bearings myself, which was humbling. Getting ready to service the suspension next. I've got room for more in the garage, so I'm not planning on parting ways with the 650 anytime soon. In fact, I love it so much I made this screen print tribute poster for the garage. I've got a few left if anyone is interested.

Poster is awesome!!! Definitely hold one for me!!! You fit that bike well.
1997 XR600r plated, 1994 XR600r plated, 1972 SL350, 1971 SL100, 1983XL600r
AlbinoPig
DAMN n00b

Post by AlbinoPig »

Thanks Bork. I will set one aside.
Daniel
Honda XR650L
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »