I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

street tire pressure for dot knobbies?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: street tire pressure for dot knobbies?

Post by Laoch »

:thumbup:

I guess I thought that the same sized tire on the same bike would run different pressures if running a DOT knobby vice a more street biased tire.
Bruce
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog »

there is allot of good information on this site.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocen ... p?id=8#tip

But generally speaking the longer, faster and more loaded you are the higher pressure you should run, otherwise you need to worry about reversion in the tube and a blow out, also don't exceed the speed rating on the sidewall of the tire, and them remember that under-inflation derates a tire.

This is probably allot more of a concern on a heavy bike like a 950 or a GS because of the higher weight and most likely greater sustained road speeds.

chris
401dan
DAMN Expert

Post by 401dan »

alot of truth to having a blow out with under inflated tires :bow: my klr eats tubes with less than 20 lbs in both :nono: :dirtdog: . i had a blow out doing 70 on 441 in GEORGIA in may :shrug: :frustrated: :frustrated: :wallbash: :amazon: :foul: was a bitch to keep from loosing it. :censored: :hitsthefan: :gdog: i ran 20lbs on sjer ride last month in sand and was great as well :thumbup: mud is a different story green ridge stay around 18lbs and use extra heavy duty tubes formud. :kumbaya: 20 - 22 hard pack more air means less chance of pinching a tube from rock impact :bow: :bandit: :dry: :knary:
2005 KLR250 2012 TIGER 800XC FULLY FARKLED : :whip:
TEACH MORE FRIENDS TO RIDE WE NEED VOTES FOR THE LAW'S THAT GOVERN US. TOO CHANGE!!!
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

401dan wrote:alot of truth to having a blow out with under inflated tires :bow: my klr eats tubes with less than 20 lbs in both :nono: :dirtdog: . i had a blow out doing 70 on 441 in GEORGIA in may :shrug: :frustrated: :frustrated: :wallbash: :amazon: :foul: was a bitch to keep from loosing it. :censored: :hitsthefan: :gdog: i ran 20lbs on sjer ride last month in sand and was great as well :thumbup: mud is a different story green ridge stay around 18lbs and use extra heavy duty tubes formud. :kumbaya: 20 - 22 hard pack more air means less chance of pinching a tube from rock impact :bow: :bandit: :dry: :knary:
Yeah, but a KLR weighs well over 400lbs.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
Rut Row
Benevolent Dictator

Post by Rut Row »

mdubya wrote:Yeah, but a KLR weighs well over 400lbs.
'cmon Mike - the KLR weighs 358# dry :deal:

now the rider, that is a different story... :poser:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya »

Kyler wrote:
mdubya wrote:Yeah, but a KLR weighs well over 400lbs.
'cmon Mike - the KLR weighs 358# dry :deal:

now the rider, that is a different story... :poser:

The numbers I read are 432 wet, manu claimed, so possibly (probably) more. Kawasaki claims 386 dry.

*edit: I guess the pre 2008 models weighed less. But still....
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC
crofrog
DAMN Expert

Post by crofrog »

You should try to avoid going below a load rating of 52 on a bike that heavy or once again you have to derate the tires speed capacity.
401dan
DAMN Expert

Post by 401dan »

KLR is 268 lbs wet same as my ex pro class on the yz250 :brows: but everyone has opinions :amazon: you have to experiment with traction control push in the corners and sway on the road :ride: if you feel as though your bikes moving around side to side and slight rear sway add more air 3lbs at a time untill it feels firm but wont slide or feel top heavy in the turns :thumbup: that is what i was told by the pro's when i raced years ago. :whoop: the type of tire and width all add ride factors so try some different pressures and ride the same stretch of road and you will see what the pro's are talking about. :gdog: there isnt a set pressure each persons weight and bikes weight and suspension pre load and tire size and profile all factor into the mix. and that you can ask a pit chief mechanic next time you go to a race. :dirtdog:
2005 KLR250 2012 TIGER 800XC FULLY FARKLED : :whip:
TEACH MORE FRIENDS TO RIDE WE NEED VOTES FOR THE LAW'S THAT GOVERN US. TOO CHANGE!!!