I have been having problems with the server running out of resources and giving errors. It is better but I'm still getting some periodically. Please report any you get to me at ken@kyler.com.

lemons into lemonaid; adventures of mdub

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Re: lemons into lemonaid; adventures of mdub

Post by mdubya » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:21 am

mtd679 wrote:A few weeks ago I was out there and saw a guy with a WR250 driving a Ridgeline, from Ellicott City. If it's the same guy, I got to talking to him, and happened to have Kathy's DRZ250 on the back of my truck for back up. I told the guy that I had gotten the DRZ from a guy right over the PA line. The guy says, no way, I think that was my bike! He had sold his to a guy just over the PA line meeting the description. Small world.
That sounds like the guy I parked next to. He was riding the loop, his wife was on a TTR and riding Mertens Avenue, up and back. Silver Ridgeline. They both had Ellicott City Motorsports stickers on their fenders. Nice folks.

I also met a father and son from Westernport who know TyMarp and live a few streets over from him. They are the ones that told me about the riding area off of Route 36.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:42 pm

mdubya wrote:I also met a father and son from Westernport who know TyMarp and live a few streets over from him. They are the ones that told me about the riding area off of Route 36.
this sure is starting to sound like a DAMN Fall ride, campout and BBQ at mdubya's! :brows: :eats: :whoop:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:09 pm

Kyler wrote:
mdubya wrote:I also met a father and son from Westernport who know TyMarp and live a few streets over from him. They are the ones that told me about the riding area off of Route 36.
this sure is starting to sound like a DAMN Fall ride, campout and BBQ at mdubya's! :brows: :eats: :whoop:
Sounds good to me. I will learn more about the Route 36 riding area.
DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

mdubya
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by mdubya » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:09 pm

I found a little damage from tipping over in the rocks yesterday.

DRZ S and SM
Vertemati SM
KTM 520 EXC

DINGO

Post by DINGO » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:50 am

Went to Granville's super-secret single track a couple of weeks ago. Yowza, found out that I am not worthy of riding with him yet! The rocky, ultra-high grass, periodic jungle stuff was great. But when he asks "do you like steep inclines?", you should be prepared! His property is awesome, but it was a wake-up call to me that riding GR feels like a kiddie park compared to some of those trails. I'm really looking forward to going out there again and trying to tackle some of the harder spots that were kicking my butt.

On a side note, I kept pinching tubes at GR on the rocky areas. I was using UHD tubes, and even using slime in them. I blew out my last one about a month ago on a second lap at GR. I ended up ordering th Tubliss for the rear tire and ran that at Granville's place. So far I am pretty impressed with the set-up and how much lighter the rear tire is without the UHD tube in it. Was a little more work to put on than noted because I had to sand & polish the inside of the rim (it was knicked up from repeated tube replacements). I ran 14 psi at Granville's and probably should have dropped it to 11-12 due to the terrain.

gtop

Post by gtop » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:28 am

Did you have to order and wait for the Tubliss? When I checked on it last year there was a couple month wait.

Rut Row
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Rut Row » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:38 am

DINGO wrote:I'm really looking forward to going out there again and trying to tackle some of the harder spots that were kicking my butt.
agree - but for me those "harder spots" started as soon as we left the 2-track! I'm such a n00b... :lol2:
Ken
Die young as late as possible, remember who you were before the world told you how it should be. -- Barry Morris

DINGO

Post by DINGO » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:34 pm

gtop wrote:Did you have to order and wait for the Tubliss? When I checked on it last year there was a couple month wait.
Nope, ordered from http://www.pureoffroad.com and they have every size in stock, and were about $15 less than everyone else too ($85.50). I added a couple small items to get me over the $100 mark so that I could get the free shipping. I ordered on Monday and had everything by Friday. They are a small outfit, but I liked the fact that when I called to double-check their stock and left a message, they called me back about 15 minutes later.

If you get one, make sure you have a pump and a gauge the will accurately read to 110 psi. There is a small tube inside of it that pushes pressure on the inside of the tire beads and seats the tire on the rim. This tube has has to be exactly 110 psi. You will need to drill out a second valve hole in the rim too. Last, and most importantly, you will need to clean the inside of the rim perfectly and sand and polish and nicks or burs that are anywhere in the rim. These areas can rub on the small tube over time. To change a tire, you will not need to remove the Tubliss ever again. Putting on the new tire was the simplest thing becasue there was no tube to deal with while mounting it. There is a really good video on how to mount the system and tire on the Nuetech Tubliss website. You can also run slime in the tire to help seal normal puntures.

DINGO

Post by DINGO » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Kyler wrote:
DINGO wrote:I'm really looking forward to going out there again and trying to tackle some of the harder spots that were kicking my butt.
agree - but for me those "harder spots" started as soon as we left the 2-track! I'm such a n00b... :lol2:
yea, after watching him whip around his KTM 450 like it was a little RM85 I was thinking "Crap, what did I get myself into here?!" Did help hearing him mention that he cut down his bars to help get through his single-track area. I'm still running the stock Renthal on my 450 and felt it again and again as I was chipping tree after tree. Tore off my plate and plate holder in there somewhere too (still in the Granville jungle somewhere).