I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

FRO - talk to me

This forum is for all OHV/ORV/Land Use messages and discussions
Twist
DAMN Poohba

FRO - talk to me

Post by Twist »

My daughter and I have been to AOAA and Mountain Ridge but have not ridden any of the FRO sites/trails. She rode well on her TTR110 but this will be the first time she's been out on the KLX 140 so I want to take her to some easy trails but enough to be interesting. At Mountain Ridge we'd probably ride Gunner or that back loop Gentle Ben.

If we wanted to go check out FRO, where would you suggest we go? According to the site, the Burma trails look to be beginner level. Will that be interesting enough for a day's riding?

And finally, will all of these places in PA be a muddy mess right now. I'm guessing some places got a lot more rain than others.

We're thinking about taking off this afternoon to get up and do a couple of hours of riding today and then ride all day tomorrow before returning back to Annapolis.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: FRO - talk to me

Post by Laoch »

Annual pass required. One time day pass, $45. M-F only for day pass, must purchase in person.
No marked trails, no real maps, changes frequently based on mining ops. Wild west.
Lots of coal, dust/mud, lots of rocks.
Riding for all types and skill levels, if you can figure out where to go.

IMHO- go to Mtn Ridge :thumbup:
Bruce
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

We’re headed to mountain ridge. Hoping it’s not too sloppy but the weather looks perfect.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Boom Boom
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Boom Boom »

Worth also looking into Rock Run. Been many years since I was there but seemed to have many miles of easier quad based trails. Drive for you is probably about the same.
From your location if I was going to purchased a permit it would be for Hatfield. Many different trail heads and trails well marked and some have SxS rentals that you could rent for a day if wanting to try that.
2022 TRS 300 E-start

2021 Beta 300rr
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Thanks for the tip on Rock Run. HM is about a 7 hour drive for us I’ve been wanting to go there for a long time. I may take my WR250R to Travis Jones at Go Race in Chrisitiansburg and that would be a good time to hit up the trails there.
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Twist wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:05 pm I may take my WR250R to Travis Jones at Go Race in Chrisitiansburg
If you are in Christiansburg VA, pop over to Kairos.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Buffalo Mtn is getting really beat to crap. A lot of the trails are so rutted and beat up now, it can be a real ballbuster on what used to be fun trails. We rode there last year a bit (was HOT AS f_ck) before we rode the KAT. Still fun, but I think I would go to another area if I go back to HM.
Lots of cool bikes---
RevMatch
DAMN n00b

Post by RevMatch »

I’m late to the party but Burma is my favorite place to ride. You can hit dark water and 910 tract from there. However there some rocky terrain to deal with on your way to the trails.

Trevorton has the coal hills and some double track roads. It’s got hills from mild to wild if you’re into that. It’s not a bad deal place to start IMO.

We’re split on which place we head to. The upper lot of trevorton (up the street) has a flat parking lot with some cool small trials through some pine trees and some cool trials through the back woods. Probably a good spot for newbies.

Sent from space using deeznuts
Skinny-J
DAMN Admin

Post by Skinny-J »

RevMatch wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:35 pm I’m late to the party but Burma is my favorite place to ride. You can hit dark water and 910 tract from there. However there some rocky terrain to deal with on your way to the trails.

Trevorton has the coal hills and some double track roads. It’s got hills from mild to wild if you’re into that. It’s not a bad deal place to start IMO.

We’re split on which place we head to. The upper lot of trevorton (up the street) has a flat parking lot with some cool small trials through some pine trees and some cool trials through the back woods. Probably a good spot for newbies.

Revmatch,

Sounds like you know your way around RAC. Darkwater to Popeyes woods used to be my favorite but we have been riding Loucst Gap a lot lately as well. If you are a ST junkie, it's great; kinda like Darkwater\Valley Rd used to be. There is also some real primo stuff off property but it seems to be all cool so far. We will be there this saturday or hit me up any time.

SJ
RevMatch
DAMN n00b

Post by RevMatch »

Thx SJ. I’m definitely not the navigator in the group :) but I believe I know where your talking about. The lot that’s covered in coal and has a few coal piles in it halfway down a hill.

That’s a cool spot for sure. We talked about going this Friday but it’s not going to happen. Maybe in a few weeks.

Wheelies are my favorite but I like a variety of riding.