I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

4/23, Emmitsburg Ride

Want to go for a DAMN Ride? So do we! :whoop:
GSSteve
DAMN n00b

Re: 4/23, Emmitsburg Ride

Post by GSSteve »

Darn, I only just saw this today, guess it’s okay I didn’t, rode two full loops at WATR Eagle Bay trail ride today and I’m whooped, last time I rode was at Emmitsburg back in November, I’m out of shape lol
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Twist wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:27 pm
John F wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:24 pm Sounds great, but I committed to riding Wicomico tomorrow with a couple friends. I’ll keep a lookout for your rides. I retired and can ride pretty much any day.
I'll be interested to hear how the conditions are at Wicomico. It's the closest place to me in Annapolis but the tracks are boring to my daughter and I felt the woods trail might be a bit too challenging for her - especially if it's really muddy down in the bottom.
The tracks are boring and just not fun at all. If you want to try track, you of course have Budds next door. They've changed a bit, and are open on select days. You have to check on facebook. They're not open 7 days a week like they used to be. Also, their woods trail/track is closed indefinitely. The Budds woods were pretty fun once you got a loop figured out.

Wicomico used to have a pretty defined one-way woods loop. That's over. The bad part about Wicomico is that there are no rules and no maintenance is done on the woods at all. Lots of fallen trees to work around, deep mud holes, and washouts, and you have to be careful around blind corners because the loop isn't clearly marked and riders may be coming the other way. And Wicomico is always muddy. There are mud holes that will literally swallow a bike, but there are always work arounds

The good part is that there are no rules and the conditions can be a bit challenging. This tends to keep the quads and some other riders out of the woods. There are also a fair number of single tracks from past events, like the Hangover. They can be fun.

None of it is so bad that a novice can't get through it. You and your daughter may enjoy exploring the single track offshoots.

Given that the Budds woods are closed, and Wicomico is generally so-so, I'm thinking of trying Field of Dreams in NJ. Anybody try it? If so, how are the woods? The riding opportunities in central MD just aren't there
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Despite Wicomico being only an hour away from home, my daughter an I have no interest in going back there. I'm sad to hear the woods trails at Budds are closed - we had a nice little adventure in there last year getting stuck up past the axles but it is pretty in there.

Our favorite is still Mountain Ridge but it is over 3 hours away. Another we may try this spring is AOAA but go during the week when the quad traffic is less.

You're right, there just aren't any options closer.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

I like Mt Ridge but it’s 6 hours of drive time rather than 3. Nice place, although I haven’t really found an area where it’s safe to let it rip a bit. I’ve ridden AOAA. It’s really rocky. I like Mt Ridge better. Tomahawk MX has a great MX track, and some woods trails. I’ve ridden the track a few times, and just poked into the woods, but the woods looked pretty good. You may want to look into Tomahawk. Wicomico is what it is—a relatively close place to ride. I get why you don’t want to go back.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Eagle Bay is just about as close as Wicomico is and they are decent trails, especially for less experienced riders. 90 minutes from Annapolis.
Lots of cool bikes---
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

I’d love to ride Eagle Bay. My understanding is that it’s for WATR members only, and I thought that their membership was closed or backed up. I rode it a few years ago at a WATR open house thing. I would’ve gone last Sunday, but could only ride on Saturday. If there’s a way that I can ride there, please let me know.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Twist wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:50 am

Our favorite is still Mountain Ridge but it is over 3 hours away. Another we may try this spring is AOAA but go during the week when the quad traffic is less.

You're right, there just aren't any options closer.
I have still never been to AOAA. I'd like to give it a try
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Bucho wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:05 pm
I have still never been to AOAA. I'd like to give it a try
I've ridden there a bit. It's huge, like over 6,000 acres. There's not much single track there but what there is is entertaining. I've done two full days there before and not ridden the same trail twice. I'm thinking of taking my daughter up there but I'd want to do that during the week when it's not as crowded with ATVs and quads.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain