I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: Sur Ron Tuning. aka geek speak.

Post by smdub »

He would be so cool to work for ;)

I just received my 2nd Nucular 24F so the kid's bike will be updated before spring. Not so much for crazy power but to be able to use it w/ the SurRon battery. SurRon is 60V vs 48V so it won't work in the kid's X160 w/ stock controller. The SR batt is 2x the Wh of the X160 batt too! So he should be able to ride at somewhere like Mountain Ridge all day being able to swap the batts.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Rode Eagle Bay on Sat. They are multiplying...
Its funny that our super-vegan/save-the-world type friend was the one on the 2-stroke.
Attachments
20220305_SMDandDanFreerides.jpeg
20220305_SMDandDanFreerides.jpeg (990.4 KiB) Viewed 6530 times
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
BlueMoto
DAMN n00b

Post by BlueMoto »

Anyone have experience riding there Sur Ron, Talaria, etc. on local mountain bike trails like Patapsco? Riding mountain bike trails is the only way I can justify buying an ebike right now. But I don't want to fight a cry baby mountain biker screaming "you're ruining our trails". Last I checked, only Level 1 ebikes can ride Patapsco.
DR650se
CB550SS
VFR800
YT125
KTM250XC
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

BlueMoto wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:26 am Anyone have experience riding there Sur Ron, Talaria, etc. on local mountain bike trails like Patapsco? Riding mountain bike trails is the only way I can justify buying an ebike right now. But I don't want to fight a cry baby mountain biker screaming "you're ruining our trails". Last I checked, only Level 1 ebikes can ride Patapsco.
I believe that's true and I've also heard of MB trails being closed even to pedal assist bikes. I've really enjoyed mine for doing slow-ride kind of practice around close to home. As an experiment, I've even taken it places like Budds Creek and ridden the big track on it. I didn't impress anyone with my speed but the bike handled it just fine. Having all that torque all the time makes it a bike for any terrain.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

I think on the more well traveled trails like Patapsco you'll get yelled at. I could probably ride the the trail local to me (Fairland) and get away with it if I wasn't being a butt head as when I'm riding a mtb there, rarely run into other riders that aren't in my group.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

BlueMoto wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:26 am Anyone have experience riding there Sur Ron, Talaria, etc. on local mountain bike trails like Patapsco? Riding mountain bike trails is the only way I can justify buying an ebike right now. But I don't want to fight a cry baby mountain biker screaming "you're ruining our trails". Last I checked, only Level 1 ebikes can ride Patapsco.

Probably some other “gray” areas you might be able to play/practice in near your house.

Id stay away from popular mtb spots.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
BlueMoto
DAMN n00b

Post by BlueMoto »

smdub wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:28 pm I think on the more well traveled trails like Patapsco you'll get yelled at. I could probably ride the the trail local to me (Fairland) and get away with it if I wasn't being a butt head as when I'm riding a mtb there, rarely run into other riders that aren't in my group.
[/quote

smdub, I'm in Laurel. I don't have an ebike yet to ride Fairland, but would be willing to meet up to ride some dirt. Do you ride any of the dirt trails across from Fairland?
DR650se
CB550SS
VFR800
YT125
KTM250XC
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Yesterday, Dan and I rode the hard side of Peters Mill Run and a short loop at Taskers to finish off the batteries. Had the place to ourselves except one lone Jeep going the other way. The KTM E is like cheating in the rocks. The combination of trials-ish suspension, gumball rear tire, slightly small bike, and E torque make you near unstoppable if you are up on the pegs. My water pump died and the bike would go into limp mode on the steep climbs multipe times. Was super annoying but at least we figured out the problem (Its REALLY handy to have another bike right there to compare and listen.) I still need to dig into it to see if its electrical (like a bad connector or relay) or if the pump itself died.

Anyway, Dan shot video. Its funny in that it makes the bikes sound so loud. They aren't silent but are quiet enough that I can only hear him breaking sticks if hes behind me. We are both a good amount of sore today. We did about 22mi.

I'll admit to a bit of range anxiety going in. I knew we'd be close and really haven't pushed them to their limits yet. We ran mode 1 when we were on the easy side of Peters Mill. It has a little regen and best range but is gutless so you figure out how to just keep it pinned. Used mode 3 for everything technical.
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Nice vid!
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Cool video. Makes me excited for the Stark Varg that's supposed to be arriving at the end of the year. It's really weird to watch the bike fight with rocks, especially from a stop, without hearing the engine. It's kind of like, "how does everyone in earshot know how hard I'm working right now, if they can't hear the engine screaming?" But I get that's part of the point, and I look forward to riding my e-bike in areas where sound is an issue.

Thanks for sharing.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200