I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Be mindful when you are out DS'ing

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Be mindful when you are out DS'ing

Post by Laoch »

This is what I use. Quite small and unobtrusive. A full frame will not fit. Perfect for the bike.

https://www.uniteduniform.com/5-11-tact ... 20Products
Bruce
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Firebolter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:03 pm Ha! Good luck with that sonny. MD carry laws are stupid, non sensible and ridiculous. When I am in the woods, I always have a tool for every job I may need to perform. :cheers:
Been looking into non lethal weapons since this topic was brought up. I understand Maryland has relaxed some since 2017 on tasers. Camping safety against real predators and also wannabe predators
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?a ... les_id=450
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

aai wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:45 am
Been looking into non lethal weapons since this topic was brought up. I understand Maryland has relaxed some since 2017 on tasers. Camping safety against real predators and also wannabe predators
That is another reason why I carry when i go out west. We ride and are sometimes 30+ miles from civilization on parts of the ride. You break down and have to spend the night, there are more than human bad things out there to get ya. I also carry a space blanket, a lighter, a knife with a saw blade and extra food. You never plan to be stranded in the wilderness, but it is a possibility with our pass time and I was a boy scout-I believe in being prepared.

Guys always tease me about all of the shit I carry and how heavy my pack/vest is, but when they break down or have an issue, they are then glad I am on the trip too! I carry a spare shifter, if I am on my 4stoke I have a fuel pump kit with me in addition to the little heater I carry! :cheers:
Lots of cool bikes---
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

aai wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:45 am
Firebolter wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:03 pm Ha! Good luck with that sonny. MD carry laws are stupid, non sensible and ridiculous. When I am in the woods, I always have a tool for every job I may need to perform. :cheers:
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?a ... les_id=450
Tasers are a good tool and generally very effective. But I can tell you some stories where they have not worked and we had to do things the old fashioned way.
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Firebolter wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:50 am Guys always tease me about all of the shit I carry and how heavy my pack/vest is, but when they break down or have an issue, they are then glad I am on the trip too! I carry a spare shifter, if I am on my 4stoke I have a fuel pump kit with me in addition to the little heater I carry! :cheers:
Bill, We appreciate you! :lol2: I can't remember the exact situation but we needed a tool in the woods recently and I told them, 'Bill would have had that tool'.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

phoo wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:56 pm But nobody honors MD permit because MD doesn't honor anyone else's.
Not true anymore.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resour ... -gun-laws/
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

smdub wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:24 am Bill, We appreciate you! :lol2: I can't remember the exact situation but we needed a tool in the woods recently and I told them, 'Bill would have had that tool'.
Bill's pack actually came up in NY two weeks ago. Skinny J lost a shifter, and Bill pulled one out of his pack!

I've recently put a space blanket in my pack and always have it. One day I thought about how freaking cold it is sometimes, especially at night, and I leave camp dressed for sweating my ass off doing technical singletrack regardless of ambient temperature. Toss in the potential of shock, and bad things can get worse.

Space blankets are super cheap on Amazon, pack super small, and weigh nothing.

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

phoo wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:20 pm
smdub wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:24 am Bill, We appreciate you! :lol2: I can't remember the exact situation but we needed a tool in the woods recently and I told them, 'Bill would have had that tool'.
Bill's pack actually came up in NY two weeks ago. Skinny J lost a shifter, and Bill pulled one out of his pack!
You don't know how many rides over the years I have seen guys (luckily never me) have shifter issues with breaking them, they fall off, get bent really bad etc., so I started about 15 years ago to carry a spare one (KTM/Husky). I had a buddy in kauai one time have to ride out using a small pair of vice grips for his shifter, was a bummer.

The other thing I have used alot to help guys is spare fuel line and safety wire, I always have about a foot long piece in my vest. Life lessons!
Lots of cool bikes---