I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Getting her motorcycle license

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Getting her motorcycle license

Post by Twist »

Gracie's motorcycle progression:

So now we're to the moment where she wants her motorcycle license and mom is not at all down with that - at first. Gracie has been asking me questions about the BDR and adventure rides I do - multi-day trips, camping, and riding forest roads from state to state. She's really excited to do that with me. So I explain to my wife that our 17 year old daughter is really excited to spend time, perhaps days at a time, with just her Dad doing something that they both love to do. How many Dad's can make that boast? She was reluctantly won over amused by how our daughter had me wrapped around her little finger. I scheduled Gracie for her motorcycle licensing class the first week in October and I signed up to do it with her.

Obviously this means we need to be searching for a street legal dual sport/adv type bike but there's on pretty big constraint. She's 5' 1" with short legs. That KLX is a little tall for her and she's learned to cope with that but she's terrified that when she's on the street she's going to drop it at a stop light and need help to pick it up. So I do what I do and geek out in front of the computer for hours and determine that the proper bike for her first street legal set of wheels is a Yamaha XT250. No dealer within 200 miles had one, new or used. 2013 and later are FI bikes so I eventually found a couple private sellers and settled on that 2019 with 400 miles on it. The owner is 64 years old and can't ride anymore and just never rode it much in the 3 years he owned it.

We went riding up in PA this past weekend hauling our two bikes on a 3 rail Kendon and I told Gracie that we had to make a stop before we got to the trails. I surprised her by pulling up in the driveway where this XT250 was sitting. I've spent the week sorting it out for her. It was still a little tall so lowering links and sag set she's able to get her tip toes down on it and rode it for the first time yesterday. Now the problem is going to be keeping her off of it. She lit up when she saw that the bike had passenger pegs so those were the first thing that hit the parts box. No rides for friends and told her that, just like the 60 hours she had to put in with Dad to get her driver's license, she's going to have to put in time riding with me out in the sticks before she gets to go off by herself on it.

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
aai
DAMN Poohba

Re: Getting her motorcycle license

Post by aai »

Congratulations Wes. coming from a very short rider like me :lol2: one tip I would like to share is she should practice to learn how to feather the brake/brakes coming to stops on the street. To where the bike just naturally falls over to one side, her preferred side when putting foot down, Smooth and seamless. Abrupt stops (fork dives) does make a difference especially when reach is at minimum and in general just looks clumsy, learning curve everybody goes thru. Emergency stops is another topic of course. Dealing with traffic and being shorter statured, finesse is key.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Thanks Sonny, good tips. She's been riding a taller dirt bike so she's had to naturally learn that. We're still working on awareness of where she stops. Sometime she isn't thinking ahead and puts herself in a situation where she has to get off and maneuver the bike to get going again - or just fall down :)
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
phoo
aka "That Guy"

Post by phoo »

Congratulations, that is awesome!

A tip my wife got years ago, which I tell all shorter riders, is that when you come to a stop, swing your leg out wide to make a big triangle. If you stop and put your foot straight down, if there's any sort of a dip at all and the bike starts going over, as you frantically keep stabbing your foot "down," you actually get farther and farther away from teh ground as the bike leans. My wife used to drop her bike all too often before someone gave her that advice. I also use that advice while on a tall dirtbike, and I'm over 6'2" tall.

Also, let he know she doesn't have to worry about having to pick up the bike at a light or stop sign somewhere. My wife always joked about how no matter where she was, no matter how far from civilization she was, if she dropped her bike, before she could try to pick it up herself, someone would magically appear and pick it up for her. And it wasn't always a man who did it!

~Patrick
2003 Triumph Sprint ST :: 2004 Suzuki SV650R
2016 Beta 300RR :: 2006 Suzuki DRZ400SM
1975 Harley FXE1200
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Thanks Patrick! She's really stoked to get off this fall and ride it.
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

This thread makes me smile. Good deal Wes! Nothing better to bring 2 people even closer together than a trip like a BDR where you camp, ride and just enjoy the simplicities of life-together. Memories she will take with her for ever!
Lots of cool bikes---
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

Counting the days until the first weekend in October for the class.