I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

KTM Recall 2019-2023 models with TKC80 tires

General BS :bull: and other irrelevant chit-chat :kumbaya:
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Unreal! I'm getting new tires for free! I got a letter from KTM today referencing the safety recall for TKC80's.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/R ... 8-8918.PDF

I just talked to a local KTM dealer and I bring my bike in tomorrow, pick whatever DOT tire I want and they replace my TKC's for free, front and rear for my model. If he doesn't have them in stock, he'll order them and I come back. For some of the bigger bikes only the front gets replaced but for the 250/350/450/500 EXCF, both are replaced. I still have mine on my stock rims so new shoes for daddy!
Lots of cool bikes---
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Re: KTM Recall 2019-2023 models with TKC80 tires

Post by smdub »

Yeah, Sonny mentioned this already in another thread. I don't think I still have my orig from the 500. They won't replace w/o proof of purchase. Umm, they came new on every machine sold here. I missed the call back from the lady at Continental but she basically said tough titties.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Yeah, I didn't realize it but it is for Huskies too, basically any bike that was sold in the US with those tires in the 2019-2023 time frame.
Lots of cool bikes---
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

Just received my letters also the other day. Spoke with JT to see what the deal was. The manager said to bring bike in, if tire sizes are on the list they will order new ones and mount on bike. I told them I had taken off the tires awhile back and just want sound tires that I paid for during the bike purchase. He said then carry in the tires if they are on the list we will give you new ones, couldn’t guarantee me free mount and balance at a later date. I told them I wasn’t too worried about that.
I believe the other tkc 80s I had Laoch ended up with them, if you still have them I can possibly get a fresh set for them also. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Personally, I LOVE the TKC80's for DS'ing. Just enough knob to work well on real trail but quiet and 70mph capable on the road. I'll see what they have. Ellicott city told me I could have ANY DOT rated tire I wanted and if not in stock, they'll order it-and mount when they come in. I am taking mine in Tuesday and dropping the rims off. That dealership is pretty convenient to work for me.
Lots of cool bikes---
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

It's a bullshit deal. All new bikes came with the tires, ergo we should get free replacements. Is it reasonable to think after three years I'd be running the stock tires? of course they have been replaced. I wore the oem tkcs out in the first year or so. Bullshit deal.

Sonny- the tires I got from you are on my son's BRP. I checked them over, no cracks. But I can't get them replaced because they are on a Honda.
Fuk em
Bruce
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

I agree Bruce, we should only have to produce the letter with our VIN from KTM and our personal ID to get a new set. That should be enough to show that we were riding life/limb on recalled tires. Of course either people wore them out and chucked them or simply taken off and handed off..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
smdub
DAMN Poohba

Post by smdub »

Laoch wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:50 pm It's a bullshit deal. All new bikes came with the tires, ergo we should get free replacements. Is it reasonable to think after three years I'd be running the stock tires? of course they have been replaced. I wore the oem tkcs out in the first year or so. Bullshit deal.

Sonny- the tires I got from you are on my son's BRP. I checked them over, no cracks. But I can't get them replaced because they are on a Honda.
Fuk em
Could add them to one of our recalls.
Though I don't think you have to prove the bike or proof of purchase if you still physically have them. The recall only requires a couple pictures. Recall still applies to ones bought aftermarket.
Stephen (not Steve) - '08 Monster S2R1000 / '20 Husky 701LR / KTM '20 500 EXC / '17 150 XC-W / '21 E-XC / '21 890R / '19 Sherco 300FST / Sur-Ron LBX / Segway X160 / Sur-Ron Ultra Bee
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

I was told all I needed was my letter and the tires and I am good to go with replacement. I pulled the rims off yesterday and threw them in the van. I'll let them do the change over! Taking them up tomorrow to see what I can get. I know he has D606's in stock he said. I took a picture of the bike on the stand and the vin just for S's-n-G's
Lots of cool bikes---
Firebolter
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by Firebolter »

Went in and was out in 5 min. Go to service desk and give them the recall letter then they open a ticket. Then I walked back to parts and they were out of 606's (and most DOT tires) so they ordered me a set and I left my rims there- should be done by Friday they said.

Ellicott City motorsports carries Husky and GasGas in addition to KTM now. They have a bunch of new bikes on the floor.
Lots of cool bikes---