I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Lithium batteries

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Re: Lithium batteries

Post by Laoch »

Hey smart guys--- what's the deal for running a solar trickle charger on a lithium battery? It's a small 15 watt thing.

I have a dedicated lithium battery tender- but Husky is relegated to the shed this winter. OTOH I have never had any issues with the stock battery in the Husky. I also start my stuff at regular intervals.
Bruce
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

I would think if you had a battery with a built in BMS like the Antigravity we have been talking about does, it wouldn't matter what the charging source was. A "dumb" battery like the Shorai that have a balance port on the other hand would seem to want a dedicated charger. As long as you don't have a parasitic draw on the battery the lithium should store without a tender just fine.

I got another AG battery today via amazon. This one is not melted and showed 13v out of the box. Stuck it in the bike and fired it up. Still at 13v :dry: Started poking around at the wiring and found the problem.

When I bought my Beta it was an ex factory bike and had the race harness installed. I made a sub harness for stuff like lights AND a better R/R so I could delete all the factory diodes and crap that seemed quite failure prone on these bikes. I had also modified the stator by 'floating the ground' to get more output.

IMPORTANT PSA HERE The wiring I used back then was Copper Clad Aluminum. Basically aluminum strands with a coating of copper on them. I didn't know the difference back then, just thought I got a good deal on a dozen spools of various colored wire. That type of wire corrodes and falls apart with any water intrusion. I learned about it after re-wiring a trailer with a Harbor Freight kit and had it turn to dust within 6 months.

Anyway, ripped out the old sub harness and chucked it all in the trash then started rewiring it with good quality wire (thanks to parting out a Nissan recently lol). Got the bare minimum run to check and make sure it was charging properly and not any further issues. Fortunately the stator and R/R appear to function fine. Unfortunately I discovered my tail light is dead as well as the cooling fan (the blades weren't even attached to the motor, motor doesn't turn at all) so I do have some parts to order.

Annoying it seems the fan isn't available as in individual piece from Beta, only the entire kit.
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
gots_a_sol
DAMN Grand Poohba

Post by gots_a_sol »

Antigravity has 15-40% off for Black Friday (powersports batteries are 20%) starting tomorrow. Figures :dry:
-Joe.

GMER/WATR member
'17 Beta 250RR/RE
'09 Husky WR177
'17 Oset 20.0
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

thanks Joe, looks like its live now. tried the discount code for 20% off on the ATZ7 and it worked. Shows in stock (can be backordered). Factor in their shipping, save $5 off MSRP

Amazon is actually a better deal right now at $116 with free shipping w/Prime
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Marylander
DAMN Admin

Post by Marylander »

gots_a_sol wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:24 pm Antigravity has 15-40% off for Black Friday (powersports batteries are 20%) starting tomorrow. Figures :dry:
If you bought directly from them I would email chad@antigravitybatteries.com (he is the "brand ambassador" who participates on advrider) and see if he can do anything for you. I've done this with other companies (e.g., aerostich had some pants on sale but not the model I wanted and I asked if I could have the discount anyway, it worked). It doesn't hurt to ask. :cheers:
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

aai wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:50 am thanks Joe, looks like its live now. tried the discount code for 20% off on the ATZ7 and it worked. Shows in stock (can be backordered). Factor in their shipping, save $5 off MSRP

Amazon is actually a better deal right now at $116 with free shipping w/Prime
$111 with coupon. :thumbup: I ordered one because of the price. My oem on Husky is fine, but why not swap it before it dies.
Bruce
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

What coupon :dirtdog:

That said I ordered the ATZ10 for my 890 direct from Antigravity $20 savings over Amazon… didn’t need it today like in 5hrs which Amazon offers :lol2:
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F