I was unable get the old avatars reimported. Regretfully, you will have to upload your avatar again. Please report any issues here,.

Tire advice needed - Quiet(er) tire?

DAMN maintenance and repair thread; including Farkle Fests! :boohoo:
John F
DAMN Expert

Tire advice needed - Quiet(er) tire?

Post by John F »

I recently bought a used BMW R nine T U/GS to use as an adv bike. It'll be used on gravel roads like in Michaux and back roads. I have a plated Husky 450 if I want to get more adventurous, and the R9 is seeing alot of street. The R9 came with a new TKC 80 on the front and a half-worn TKC 70 on the rear. The TKC 80 is part of the recall, and it's just way to loud on the street. So, I'm looking for an 80/20 or so tire that doesn't howl, or a 50/50 tire, but I from what I can tell 50/50s are loud. I was leaning to Michlelin Anakee Adventures but a few Revzilla reviews say that they're loud when leaned over. Bobs BMW and MOD both recommended the Anakee Adventures. Sonny just got the Motoz tractionator GPS for his 890R so those are a possibility. Maybe TKC 70s? Any suggestions?
jgreene
DAMN Expert

Re: Tire advice needed - Quiet(er) tire?

Post by jgreene »

I cannot steer you to a quiet tire, but if noise is an issue do not go with the MotoZ Tractionator Adventures. I have these on my bike. All around a great tire on dirt, gravel, and asphalt, but loud as hell. Noise is not an issue for me, I wanted the most traction in dirt and gravel.
Member R&T Club, and GMER
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

On my GS I've used Michelin Wilds, TKC 80s both very noisy tires that performed well on and off the pavement. The Dunlop Trailmax Mission tire is a real game changer. The traction on and off road, the very long life, and pretty much no perceptible noise or vibration make this tire something akin to magic. I rode these tires to Texas Hill Country and back and then rode the MABDR on the same tires and they performed very well. The only time I felt like I was giving up sone traction to the TKC80s was on steep gravely hill climbs on forest roads and I'd get more spinning on the rear. Never once caused me any concern but the difference was noticeable.

Seriously, they must have some kind of mystical tire shaman muttering over these tires in manufacturing because they don't look like a 50/50 tire and they don't make noise like a 50/50 tire, but they're great for anything short of hard enduro riding.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

And by the way, I took my GS on these tires to meet up with my sport bike pals in West Virginia for 3 days of strafing corners and I was at no disadvantage to the kids on sport/tourers on softer sport tires. I don't like to scrap hard parts but the tires are so confidence inspiring on a twisty road I'd be lying if I said it didn't happen.
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you figure out why. - Mark Twain
Bucho
DAMN Admin

Post by Bucho »

Just wear ear plugs
Yamaha WR250R
Yamaha TW200
aai
DAMN Poohba

Post by aai »

John, hop on my bike next time. Im very satisfied with choosing GPS, 1400 miles on them so far and getting caught in some rain a few times. I have the quiet stock exhaust including that 5lb cat. All I hear is valve train revs and exhaust, no road noise. Bucho has demonstrated if I ever get myself caught on a loose rocky hill covered with leaves, its capable even on street pressure of 32 psi which I forgot to air down that morning. They say drop it to 26psi so the tire could squish down for the side biters to grab. No issues and felt fine on the gravel roads we did, felt just as planted as the anakee wilds on my Pan America on gravel roads, the anakee tires I could hear some after same mileage. Ill give these tires a few thousand more miles and see if they get louder, but so far so good as tons of people mentioned before me.
Beta Evo Sport 300 4T "running crisp again thanks to Jtrobb"
KTM 150 XCW tpi
KTM 890 ADV R
GASGAS EX 450F
Laoch
DAMN Admin

Post by Laoch »

I agree with ear plugs :lol2: Between the wind noise and the Sena pumping tunes into my helmet, tire noise is just not anything I ever thought about. I do understand about constant tire howl, that would be irritating.

However- I have an Adventure on the rear and shinko 705 front on my GS. Similar tires. Work well on street and gravel for me. I never feel real comfortable on the gravel on the GS. Always feels like I'm floating on marbles.

I think the Adv is dual compound? Harder on centre section, softer in rear. It's also OEM on some BMWs?. So, probably a good choice.
Bruce
John F
DAMN Expert

Post by John F »

Bob’s BMW had Dunlop Trailmax Missions in stock for my bike, so I wound up getting those. I rode them for the first time today on the road and they were much quieter and smooth. So far, so good. Thanks for the advice.
Twist
DAMN Poohba

Post by Twist »

John F wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:38 pm Bob’s BMW had Dunlop Trailmax Missions in stock for my bike, so I wound up getting those. I rode them for the first time today on the road and they were much quieter and smooth. So far, so good. Thanks for the advice.
You're going to love those tires on and off the pavement. Once broken in you can really rail on them on a twisty road and they hook up well enough on forest roads.
frogman1981
DAMN Expert

Post by frogman1981 »

K270 is fairly quiet. I have one on the front of my bike. They suck for hardcore mud, but good for everything else. They grip the street very well!